How durable is the Arduino?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wstuck

How durable is the Arduino?

Post by wstuck »

I am planning on using an Arduino in an off-road vehicle and I would like to find out how durable it is. The temperature ranges could be between -10F to 110 F. The vibration could be fairly rough but I am planning on mounting the Arduino in a semi sealed box with some form of shock mounts and cooling fans. Once the prototype design is completed and proven is there a non-prototype version of the Arduino board?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Franklin97355

Re: How durable is the Arduino?

Post by Franklin97355 »

is there a non-prototype version of the Arduino board?
You could mount the chip and associated parts on a board of your making, get the SMD version or one of the clones in a mini or micro form factor. any of these could be coated with conformal coating to make it dust, vibration and water resistant.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Boarduino is a good choice for that application. It is compatible with a standard Arduino, but you can solder all the joints for vibration resistance. A conformal coating as suggested above would make it even more rugged.

wstuck

Post by wstuck »

Thanks you for your help.

wstuck

Post by wstuck »

The Boarduino has a USB and a DC version. I have a Arduino Uno that I have tested and the code is working great. If I buy the Boarduino USB will the output to the computer and the code uploads be the same? After the Boarduino is completely loaded with code and wired into a box can it be powered with hard wires? If so should the power be 5v or 8v and do you have any clean power filter kits that would be good for a 12v automotive battery feed?

Thanks for your help,
Wstuck

adafruit_support_bill

Uploads to the USB Boarduino will be the same as the UNO, except that you must select "Duemilanove w/ Atmega 328" as the board type.

If you have a 5v regulated power source, you can connect it directly to the GND & +5v pins on the Boarduino. Any DC power source (regulated or not) between 7v and 12v can be connected to the GND and VIN pins.

Sorry, we don't have any power filter kits.

Confusedagain

Post by Confusedagain »

I would think masking tape your pin connections to the arduino. Get some Pen springs and stretch them abit and "hang the adruino as arduino suspension. Like a picture frame 4 springs to 4 corners of frame. If you like to climb waterfalls like me but it all in a big ziplock bag.

rob drizzle

Post by rob drizzle »

My Arduino is outside in the garage right now in 0*F weather and is working perfectly so I don't think that last 10 degrees will kill it.

Also, for dirt, sand, water-resistances, you could get a large balloon and cut the "rolled" end off and shove the board in there... It will fit. Run all the wiring out of the balloons mouth part and then zip tie closed. For "added" water-resistance, you could use a blob of silicone sealant in between and around the wiring before zip tying.

philba

Post by philba »

On the temperature range issue. You should look at all the components on the board and determine what their temperature specs are. For example, the atmega328-PU is rated -40C to +85C. It looks like that meets your needs. Look at all the chips and other components on your board(s).

TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Not necessarily from experience with an Arduino but:

Use a dab of hot melt glue on the through hole components will help support them under high vibration and avoid mounting it to somewhere that could get develop harmonic vibrations ie dont stick it to the middle of an aluminium door panel.

Padded but not floppy.

wstuck

Post by wstuck »

If I have a 5v or 8v power source and I connect it as indicated below do I need to do anything with the PWR jumper that is built into the USB Boarduino board as listed in the Assembly Notes at http://www.ladyada.net/products/usbboarduino/

If you have a 5v regulated power source, you can connect it directly to the GND & +5v pins on the Boarduino. Any DC power source (regulated or not) between 7v and 12v can be connected to the GND and VIN pins.

PWR jumper

The PWR solder-jumper is a bonus for advanced users, it allows you to run the USB Boarduino at a different voltage. It is by default shipped with a trace connecting the two jumper sides, which means that the AVR is running at 5V from the USB port. If you would like to say, run the AVR at 3.3v, you can cut the jumper with a sharp xacto/craft blade (check with your multimeter that it is no longer shorted) and then on the breadboard, connect the *VCC* pin to the 3v pin. This will run the board off of the FTDI chip's internal 3.3v regulator, which we should warn you can't supply more than maybe 50mA. Also, be aware that running a 16MHz AVR at 3.3v is considered 'overclocking'. We've never had a problem with it for hobbyist use but just be aware that this is outside the guaranteed performance of the microcontroller

adafruit_support_bill

Sorry, I mis-spoke before. What I said about supply voltages applies to the DC Boarduino. The USB version of the Boarduino does not have an on-board regulator. It is primarily designed to run on 5v from the USB jack. The power jumper can be used to optionally run it at 3.3v.

wstuck

Post by wstuck »

So now I am confused.

It sounds like I should leave the PWR Jumper as is (default) and that will keep the 5v default.

How to power the USB Boarduino?

When programming and testing the USB Boarduino the power will come from the USB. When I am finished testing and the USB Boarduino is ready for the intended use I was not planning on having the USB port connected. If I have a regulated 5v supply can it be hardwired to the USB Boarduino for power when the USB port is not being used?

adafruit_support_bill

If I have a regulated 5v supply can it be hardwired to the USB Boarduino for power when the USB port is not being used?
Yes. You can either wire it directly to the 5v & GND pins, or you can splice your battery to a mini-USB cable (just the +5 and GND lines) and power it with that.

wstuck

Post by wstuck »

Thanks for the help.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”