RPM pickup ignition coil parts in Holland: HELP!

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jtigchelaar

RPM pickup ignition coil parts in Holland: HELP!

Post by jtigchelaar »

Hello,

my name is Jelle Tigchelaar, i'm a 30 yr old programmer from Holland.
I have some skills in fabrication and cars/engines besides my programming carreer.

Recently i started tinkering with the Arduino and i absolutely love it!

I am very lucky to also own a small boat, since i live near the water we have the best of times during the summer.

The boat is due for a major retrofit though, i am designing a new interior and am also looking into creating a new instrument panel to replace the existing partly function analog gauges.
Being a programmer and because i got infected with the arduino virus i want to use an arduino to measure the engine statistics and other components related to it.
Things as a fuel level sender and temperature sender appear to be trivial and early tests suggest it should work with little problems.

My main problem is regarding the engine rpm, it is an old 4 cylinder car engine converted for use in marine environments, it still uses an old fashioned ignition coil, no injectors or ecu's to hook into.

I found an instructable (great site!) http://www.instructables.com/id/Digital ... e-circuit/ that has a diagram explaining how to hook up to the ignition coil.
The signal coming from the 5&10 pins of the LM2917 can be altered with a potentiometer and if i am correct could be fed directly to one of the arduino's analog pins.

Here's the kicker: i can read and partly understand these diagrams, but i am by no means an electronic expert. If i look at the parts list and try to find these parts at a local supplier (in Holland) i am overwhelmed by the list of possibilities for just one simple resistor...

I have been a lurker on this forum for some time and i am impressed by the replies and knowledge (and also some tolerance for newbie questions) so that's why i decided to post here.
Needless to say all parts for the dash like LCD's will be ordered from here :)

Could anybody help me translate that diagram and the partslist into a fullproof list of items to order from a Dutch supplier? And if possible educate me along the way as to why you choose those specific items. I'm hoping to learn so i can prevent having to ask these questions here...

Kind regards to all!

Jelle

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”