Methods to Mount Arduino inside Large Plastic Case?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bunger

Methods to Mount Arduino inside Large Plastic Case?

Post by bunger »

I am moving into Phase II of building my son's "ghost hunting case" and have a couple of quick questions ( also should note - very much new to all of this ):

The project is a large, plastic case ( actually intended for storing hand guns and ammo ), but my son will use it to store his ghost hunting equipment ( he is only 6, by the way ). The project includes an Arduino, Graphic ST7565 Negative LCD (128x64), temperature sensor, and a bunch of RGB LEDs.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to mount any of that inside the plastic case ( I will post for the LCD in it's proper forum ). Specifically,

- what are some methods to secure the arduino inside the case?

- I have been doing the "testing" on a breadboard, but have no idea how to make the connections "permanent." What should I use to replace the breadboard and actually solder my connections on? That will also need to be mounted somehow.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Bill

Franklin97355

Re: Methods to Mount Arduino inside Large Plastic Case?

Post by Franklin97355 »

Any of these are designed exactly for this (thanks Lady Ada!) http://www.adafruit.com/products/591 As to how you mount, it depends on what you want it to look like when you are done. Bolts and standoffs if you don't mind hardware on the outside or glue, hotmelt or JB Weld to make standoffs if you want to keep it all inside.

bunger

Post by bunger »

So I would solder directly to those proto boards and mount them along with the Arduino?

Regarding aesthetics of the mount: I don't want anything to show on the outside, so I think I would be stuck with adhesives of some sort. Is the JB Weld the strongest?

Thanks for the help!!
Bill

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

So I would solder directly to those proto boards and mount them along with the Arduino?
Yes, just transfer the parts to the corresponding positions on the Perma-Proto" board and solder them in.
don't want anything to show on the outside, so I think I would be stuck with adhesives of some sort.
I have used double-sided foam tape in similar enclosures. It holds very well, but is removable if you need to make modifications to your circuit.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”