A question about installation, please..

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
auspicious

A question about installation, please..

Post by auspicious »

HEllo,
after recently switching computers it is necessary to reinstall the arduino software. THe problem that needs adressing here though, is that the Uno is not showing up under any of the ports in the device managaer. It has its own spot under "other devices" and then the logo has a yellow exclimation on it. So how does one go about getting this up and running, please? Thanks for your time again....

adafruit_support_bill

Re: A question about installation, please..

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes, both the Arduino IDE and the UNO driver needs to be installed on your new PC. Once you have the IDE installed, open up the UNO that shows up in "Other Devices" and find the "Update Driver" button. When it asks for the driver location, browse to the "Drivers" folder in your Arduino install folder.

auspicious

Post by auspicious »

Thanks for the reply,
I have browsed to the driver folder...but at that point there is no UNO listed... and most of the other options that appeared to be in the drivers folder before are not there. When selecting any of the options available nothing seems to work. Under Drivers is a file called FTDi USB drivers, and then there is amd64 and i386 and then another file called static below that which also contains amd64 and i386. All of these options are a non option according to windows.

Thanks again for your time.

:)

adafruit_support_bill

There should be an "Arduino Uno.inf" and an "Arduino Uno R3.inf" (among others) in the folder. If they are not there, you should re-download the IDE.

I don't believe that the browser in the Device Manager actually shows you the .inf files. You should just browse to the 'drivers' folder and tell it to search for the driver.

auspicious

Post by auspicious »

YEP! thanks again! :wink:

i'm not sure of the exact step that worked.... first I re downloaded IDE, then put those specific files (uno.inf and the other) into the "ftdi usb drivers" folder (not sure if that did anything to help) and then selected only the first "drivers" folder when updating the driver software(without being more specific , as you said). So it works. Thanks.

I have another question. If a new thread is appropriate instead, then thats ok. The thing is that the motor I am using with the same speed and the same delay numbers for forward and backwards, are moving much further in one direction then the other. Since forward and backwards are set to the same exact settings I would think that it would be equal. I know that load can play a factor, but it is doing it not only on the part where it is "lifting", but rather it seems specific to one direction regardless the work being done. Do you have any ideas why, and/or suggestions to fix it? I am trying to use some DC 9vlt motors that have a high torque gear box built i , bought from "all electric". They are cheap and lift what the steppers couldn't...until this. Its just the next bump in the road. Any suggestions :?: Thank you.

adafruit_support_bill

How much different is it?
Try reversing the leads and see if the difference is in the motor/gearbox or the controller.

auspicious

Post by auspicious »

ok...reversed the leads in port (2)and it appears to still be traveling in one direction much more then the other....the opposite one this time. So I assume that means there is something up with the Arduino. I'm going to try a different motor port. ok tried a new port (3) and (4) and got this error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xe0

so this is probably a different problem...but...what's up?

when i tried a differenet motor in that original port (2) it went much further in one direction then the other.

thanks again...what might you suggest :?:

BTW it goes about 2x's as far in one direction as the other, maybe more...

adafruit_support_bill

Try swapping the L293D chips. (Be careful removing them as it is easy to damage the pins.)

It could also be a marginal solder joint somewhere. If you post photos of the front & back of the board we'll take a look.
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xe0

so this is probably a different problem...but...what's up?
That is a communication problem. Since you were were able to communicate with the board both before and after, I would suspect the cable. Could have a loose connection internally, or maybe just not plugged in firmly.

auspicious

Post by auspicious »

THanks for replying,
What I dont understand is that when I run the "AF motor test" on motor 3 or 4, then it gives that error, yet the motor on M1 still turns, even though the sketch does not mention M1.

Also, if it's a communication error with the cord perhaps, then why does it still work when i include M1 in the sketch?

At this point it's pretty confusing. I'm not sure If i should order those chips, or a new cord... or what?

Is this going to be an ongoing problem in the future? In other words, are these types of problems typical with arduino, and I should just expect them? it gets awfully expensive if thats the case. Anyway, all that aside, what do you recommend?

Thanks again for your time~

auspicious

Post by auspicious »

....also, could you point me towards where to buy those chips at? I searched the site, and only the shield came up.

Thanks again!

adafruit_support_bill

When I said to swap the chips I meant to exchange the positions of the two on the board. If the problem follows the chip, then we would know it is a bad chip.

But from the symptoms you are reporting I think you may have a short somewhere on the board. Post photos of the front & back of the board and we'll take a look for any problems.
What I dont understand is that when I run the "AF motor test" on motor 3 or 4, then it gives that error, yet the motor on M1 still turns, even though the sketch does not mention M1.
Are you referring to the communications error? If you see that error, your sketch did not upload and the Arduino would still be running the previously loaded sketch.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”