Leonardo

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
philba

Leonardo

Post by philba »

So, is there actually ever going to be an official Leonardo?

I think it was promised for like October but the radio seems to have gone silent. It's in 1.0s boards.txt but commented out. There are several products that look like psorta-kinda Leonardos (SF Pro micro, teensy+teensyduino) with a 32U4. But still nothing official. Kind of like the 32 bit ARMduino.

By the way, I really like the teensy with PJRC's teensyduino stuff. Actually works pretty well. Not sure I actually care if a Leonardo gets released because you can't argue with the price of a teensy.

adafruit

Re: Leonardo

Post by adafruit »

philba wrote:So, is there actually ever going to be an official Leonardo?
we saw on in person (and have one the arduino team gave us).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adafruit/6 ... hotostream
philba wrote:By the way, I really like the teensy with PJRC's teensyduino stuff. Actually works pretty well. Not sure I actually care if a Leonardo gets released because you can't argue with the price of a teensy.
we like the teensy too! we stock it in our store along with our own 32u4 - but we're not using the leonardo bootloader, we don't think it's ready, so we're waiting (and assisting the arduino team) in the best ways we can to help them with a bootloader.

cheers,
adafruit support

philba

Post by philba »

so, when's it going to be a reality or has the Open Source Hardware company sworn you to secrecy? (sorry, I'm getting a little miffed at their lack of communication)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

philba wrote:so, when's it going to be a reality or has the Open Source Hardware company sworn you to secrecy? (sorry, I'm getting a little miffed at their lack of communication)
hmm, what do you mean? we do not know anything anyone else knows, the arduino team did not give us a date at all, there was nothing they asked us to keep secret. we'd love to be shipping official leonardos as well. other companies are shipping things we are not, we're purposefully not shipping things we know are not good for our customers and/or what the arduino team hasn't released yet.

we try to be as helpful and transparent to everyone, our customers and our community - is there anything else we can do?

thanks,
adafruit support

philba

Post by philba »

I wasn't referring to you guys. The arduino folks seem pretty unwilling to share stuff. Leonardo was supposed to ship months ago and there really hasn't been any information about when it's really going to ship. This is kind of bad - people are calling all manner of things "leonardo".

paulstoffregen

Post by paulstoffregen »

It is often said "fast, cheap, or good; pick any two".

Personally, when developing Teensy, I try for "cheap and good". But especially making things good often means a lot of extra delay while small but important bugs are worked out. In fact, I'm about to release the flight sim control USB stuff soon... after a couple months of beta testing and lots of refinements. Quality software takes time. I have written and published much code over the years. Believe me, I know. But it's always difficult to strike a balance between keeping something under wraps to focus on developing vs putting something out too soon for beta testing. Hardware and especially supporting software design is difficult and takes a lot of work.

If anything, I think everyone should show a lot of appreciation to the Arduino folks for putting their Leonardo platform out so prematurely and allowing everyone to copy it before they even finished it and can start selling it themselves.

If you were the Arduino team, how would you react to see major vendors selling buggy product at inflated prices while you slowly continue to work on refining it, not making any sales yourself? Would you feel eager to share your work so early? If you're going to be angry at someone, please take a moment to consider how this "open source hardware" market really works. Whose actions create strong disincentives for early sharing?!

philba

Post by philba »

What I'd prefer is to see an open process. I agree, get it right. But not saying anything lets people imaginations run free. Why preannounce and then say nothing? I think it would be fine to say - it's not ready, we've got bugs that we're fixing.

paulstoffregen

Post by paulstoffregen »

They have indeed publicly said "it's not ready yet" or "it's not officially released" many times. For example, check the Arduino developer mail list archives for Jan 1st. There are lots of other occasions if you look.

It's amazing you see these facts, specifically that they announced it so early AND published full source code... as a NOT being open! That looks pretty damn open to me. Sure, you could say they're not making much progress. You could talk about the bugs. But saying they're not being open, when they've published source code so early is pretty unfair.

Would you be so open? Would you publish full source code and allow others to start selling your work long before you are ready to do so yourself?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thanks paul, well said!

thanks,
adafruit support, phil

davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi,

As far as I am concerned, I can wait. When the Arduino team and Adafruit are both happy with the product then I look forward to purchasing one.

Cheers
David

DJ4MC

Post by DJ4MC »

Hello, I want to build an Adavision and am assembling the parts. I just ordered your 32u4 AVR board (two actually) and note that you use the Arduino 1.0 software and select Leonardo as the board. I have a mac with 1.0 and well... Leonardo is not one of my options. I also note from the screen shots you are using a PC with RC2 version of 1.0. Can I use the Teensy board or what do you suggest.

BTW I'm going large... I was in Shanghai for business recently and arranged to get 1000 12mm pixels that are ws2801. I'm thinking a 20X20 Adavision and a 8X8X8 cube...

Jules

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

adavision is not a released project, we aren't offering any support at this time nor can we help out with the existing beta documentation - it will be rewritten soon (no ETA on when it will be done)

DJ4MC

Post by DJ4MC »

No worries. I found Release Candidate 2 on the Arduino Code Wiki and it includes Leonardo and the FTDI driver. Interestingly, it looks like you are selling the Adavision but I am piecing one together. Anyway you guys ROCK and I appreciate all you do.

I'll post my project when complete.

Jules

davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi,

What is/will-be Adavision?

Cheers

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”