Capturing and processing color images

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
relaxing

Capturing and processing color images

Post by relaxing »

I'm looking for a way to capture and work with color images in an Arduino. Basically read from a camera and get a matrix of N x N color pixels, where N is very small, say 32.

Note:
* I know Arduino is underpowered for this application, and memory constrained, etc. I'm only interested in a 32x32x4byte array, which seems reasonable.
* I've seen all the cameras that only return compressed images, and porting an incredibly simple JPEG library to Arduino seems like a last resort here, if it's even possible (yes I've begun looking into this.)
* I don't want to just log a JPEG to a flash card, I want access to the actual pixels.
* I don't want to involve a PC, mobile phone, or other high powered processor (unless it's part of a monolithic camera package and relatively cheap.)
* I've seen the video experimenter shield, and it's B&W only.
* I've seen the various CV motion sensors that are B&W only.
* I've seen that one camera that will return an uncompressed image, but is out of stock everywhere.
* I could use three cameras with color filters, but that seems cost prohibitive.

Thoughts?? Is there a solution I'm missing?

adafruit

Re: Capturing and processing color images

Post by adafruit »

right now there is no arduino-able camera that can do this - we're trying to investigate and find cameras that can. if we do find one, we'll blog about it and carry it in the shop!

relaxing

Post by relaxing »

Bummer!
Well, thanks for keeping an eye out!
Maybe there's a supply of the COMedia c328 out there still?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

those are in very short supply, they were discontinued which is why we dont stock them. we're actively looking for a replacement, if we find one we'll blog about it!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”