Still need to update bootloader on Arduino Ethernet?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
oldsklnewbie

Still need to update bootloader on Arduino Ethernet?

Post by oldsklnewbie »

Hello world!! First post :)

On the shippping versions of the Arduino Ethernet R2, is the bootloader at least optiboot_v4 .4 or better or is it still required to update the bootloader to fix the timing issue when using the FTDI cable to program it? Does the FTDI friend have the same timing problem? The instructions say to use another Arduino to update the bootloader, but I haven't even bought my first :)

Now some background... My project requires Ethernet & SD Card, so naturally I'm drawn towards the Arudino Ethernet. I figure I can cut out the SOIC area of the Adafruit Protoshield to clear the Ethernet connector and everything would be fine, assuming I can program it out of the box... Or maybe put a Mega Protoshield on it, without the back connectors of course, but I don't know if I would need to cut into the +/- bus strip or if the reset and what not would still work...

But what I'd really like to get is a Mega. I'm thinking I could just cut off the front half of the Mega Protoshield to clear the Ethernet Shield but that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for circuits... Do the connectors at the rear of the Mega line up with .1" spacing so I could extend a custom proto board out over the end of the Mega? Otherwise, I've seen a couple Ethernet breakout boards w/ either the W5100 or the ENC28J60 chip. Is either one better than the other? Would be nice to find one that was panel mount though... Would be even better if they made a Mega Ethernet :) Is there a trick to ridgid mounting breakout boards, say an Ethernet and a FTDI Friend to the case to make them accessible? Standoffs? Some sort of glue?

Looking for suggestions... I'm itching to jump in, but would prefer to get it mostly right the first time :)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Still need to update bootloader on Arduino Ethernet?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The current-stock R2 Arduino Ethernet I have on the bench right now works fine with the FTDI cable.

There is an interference problem with shields and the RJ-45 jack. One way to deal with that is to use a set of stacking headers between the shield and the board. https://www.adafruit.com/products/85

The MEGA headers do align on 0.1" pitch with the 'back' half of the Arduino headers. If you built your Mega proto-shield with stacking headers, you could just stack the Ethernet shield on top of it.

oldsklnewbie

Re: Still need to update bootloader on Arduino Ethernet?

Post by oldsklnewbie »

Thanks for the quick reply !! :)

I want to put this into a case and ridigize it somewhat. Most of the ones I've seen, including the one you carry, the Crib and the Chameleon only seem to be able to fit 1 shield high...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”