Powering an Arduino

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
benlunt

Powering an Arduino

Post by benlunt »

Hey Guys/Gals

Firstly want to say hi as im new to adafruit, arduino and electronics. I come from UK and have enjoyed all the tutorials you have on your site and have found them very useful. Anyway onto my question.

Im wanting to make a project with an arduino and some sensors doesnt really matter at the momet how much power is being used as that's not my question. Im wanting to power this project with a rechargeable battery. Im also wanting to charge the battery (possibly a Lipo Battery ) with a solar panel. Ive seen your "USB / DC / Solar Lithium Ion/Polymer charger - v1.0" which is brilliant and almost the solution im looking for. However, Im wanting to also charge the battery using Mains Supply if it is available and the sun isn't. Obviously being in the UK there isnt much sun. Ive looked around your forum and the internet and not found anything that suggests it can be done. Ive seen on the net that if you try to charge the battery and power the project at the same time there is alot of heavy work on the battery so don't know whether this is the reason I havent seen much on this topic.

Ive also seen The Intersil ICL7673 which is a cmos battery backup but i dont know whether this is what I'm looking for either. Any help on this will be much appreciated and thanks to anyone i advance.

So in summary:
Three potential power supplys Mains (Priority if available), Rechargeable Battery, Solar Panel. And how to link them up in order to power the arduino?

Many Thanks

Ben

benlunt

Re: Powering an Arduino

Post by benlunt »

I believe ive just found my answer while looking through your projects. Am I right in thinking http://www.adafruit.com/products/280 will do the trick? Dc Wall wart into the jack and the solar panel into usb connection?

Many Thanks
Ben

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Hi Ben,

The solar version of the charger is the best one to use. The design section of the product page describes the special considerations necessary for charging from a solar panel.

For backup mains power on less than sunny days, you can use one of these and one of these to supply power via the USB port. You will also want to add a blocking diode in series with the solar panel to prevent reverse current from flowing back through the panel.

benlunt

Post by benlunt »

Thank you very much for your quick reply so am I right in thinking I can have power connected to the dc jack and power connected to the usb at the same time?

Many Thanks for the advice given already.

Ben

adafruit_support_bill

Yes, that is OK. Just don't forget the blocking diode on the solar panel.

benlunt

Post by benlunt »

Thank you so much for your help but another question leading on. Say i wanted to charge a lead acid battery instead of the Lithium 3.7V battery as i may need a large battery backup. Is this charging unit capable of charging a lets say a Battery Capacity: 3.5Ah
Battery Voltage: 6V if not what i can for these batteries

Many Thanks

Ben

adafruit_support_bill

Say i wanted to charge a lead acid battery instead of the Lithium 3.7V battery as i may need a large battery backup. Is this charging unit capable of charging a lets say a Battery Capacity: 3.5Ah
It is not so much a question of capacity, but of battery chemistry. Different batteries require different charge cycles. These chargers are designed specifically for LiPo cell chemistries. Lead-Acid chargers have different requirements.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”