if/else

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CharlieJ

if/else

Post by CharlieJ »

i am trying to set up a code for my motor controlled (adafruit's ) to respond to two switches I am trying the if/else setup.
int buttonState=0;
int led=13;
void setup()
{
  pinMode(3,INPUT);
  Serial.begin(9600);
  delay(25);
}
void loop()
{
  buttonState=digitalRead(3);
  if (buttonState==HIGH)
  digitalWrite(led, HIGH);

else
  digitalWrite(led,LOW);
}
this is the code I am starting with. I have connected a switch ti what i thought to pin a3. The switch is wiredfor 5v to the pin and when the switch is tripped the voltage goes to 0v., using a 10000o resistor in the 5v line and a 1000 o. resistor in the wire to the pin.the led 13 does not light when the switch is operated. What did do wrong. In my plan there is to be two switches as bump switches that will stop the robot and reverse and turn it. Is there a better way than this ? Charlie j

tessellated_dreams

Re: if/else

Post by tessellated_dreams »

CharlieJ wrote:I have connected a switch ti what i thought to pin a3.
Does this mean that you have it connected to Analog Pin 3? If so, if you want to do a digitalRead you need to address the pin as A3 in your code, not 3.

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

your code uses digital pin three. i don't know if by a3 you mean analog pin 3, but if you do the correct argument to pinMode and digitalRead is 17.

all pins on the arduino have pullups which can be enables by writing a HIGH value to the pin after setting its mode to INPUT. if you use the internal pullup all you have to do is connect one side of the switch to the input pin and the other side to ground, then when the switch is closed it will give a reading of LOW and when open it will give a reading of HIGH. this is consistent with the wiring you describe, but your code turns the led on when the input pin is HIGH.

so make sure your switch is connected to the correct pin and change your if statement to test for a LOW value.

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

acolourfullife wrote: If so, if you want to do a digitalRead you need to address the pin as A3 in your code, not 3.
guess it's time for me to read the reference, again. there are parts i haven't looked at since version 11 or so. fortunately A3 seems to be defined as 17.

baldengineer

Post by baldengineer »

You set pin3 to INPUT (which isn't really necessary since pins are INPUT by default) but you never set pin13 (led) to OUTPUT.

CharlieJ

Post by CharlieJ »

I was scanning down in the tutorials in controls ( Ithink) and found a section on if/else that I did not know was there. I think I will work thru the tutorials and it will help me to understand this . I guess I never looked in that area. Thanks Charlie J

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”