Not in sync - error message

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
knuckles

Re: Not in sync - error message

Post by knuckles »

still no luck getting a sketch onto the xino with a fresh 328 chip with no bootloader .
the help on the xino forum said put a 100nf cap between rst on each board but the FTDI board has no rst only a dtr and a cts pin .and they dont work either .

Stevelxxxxx

Post by Stevelxxxxx »

I haven't had any luck burning the boot loader to a 328P chip. I don't know why it has to be so difficult. What I did achieve was this. I bought a spare pre boot loaded chip, then used that as my stand alone processor, and started putting together my hard wired circuit (my own little project). So I am making progress, even if I still can't burn a bootloader. I just found a way to work around it.
Hopefully at some time in the future, somebody might tell me how to burn a bootloader on to an Arduino Uno, assuming it is possible. In the meantime I have found a way to side swipe that obstacle by just buying a pre boot loaded chip, and carrying on regardless.

Stevelxxxxx

Post by Stevelxxxxx »

Knuckles, don't stuff around with the Arduino anymore. Buy a pre boot loaded chip for your Xino. Put more effort into completing your project rather than stuffing around for countless hours trying to burn bootloaders. When your project is finished, look around for something else that works better and isn't such a pain in the ass to use.
I am sick of trying to burn Arduino bootloaders. I would much rather spend my time working towards completing a project (my project) that is in my mind.

richms

Post by richms »

Why blame arduino for you trying to work with bare chips?

If you want to program them, you need a programmer. You are cheaping out using the arduino as a makeshift programmer that has many documented issues with resetting.

Stevelxxxxx

Post by Stevelxxxxx »

I am happy to buy a programmer and I probably will. But I will be bloody cheesed off if I do spend the money, and it still doesn't work. If something is bugged, then it is bugged, as simple as that. You only have to look at the multitude of problems people had with Windows Vista and Saeco Incanto coffee machines to see that sometimes things are released on to the market place too early, without being properly tested. This does happen, hopefully not very often. Even innocent people get thrown into Jails sometimes.

knuckles

Post by knuckles »

i used too be able to get a sketch onto a UNO but that doesnt work any more now.
a pal who checked out the usb to serial with the pro mini found a broken track on the board and had now got that going ok.waiitng for it to come back and i do it as well without problems.
i have a avrisp programer to use next .
cant get it to work with the xino despite the help forum advice .

Stevelxxxxx

Post by Stevelxxxxx »

Well my solution was to buy a pre boot loaded chip, and put more effort in to getting on with what I really want to do. When it's finished, I'll make an assessment then as to how useful the Arduino is to me. Maybe buy a programmer then to program my own chips, but then maybe not. Maybe I will have to upgrade to something better. See what happens when the time comes.
The Arduino does work well as a stand alone unit, it just has this problem with boot loading blank chips. Otherwise everything else is fine.

knuckles

Post by knuckles »

heres another load of complainers of the same problem

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 1243607033

Stevelxxxxx

Post by Stevelxxxxx »

I wrote directly to arduino.com and didn't get any reply.

knuckles

Post by knuckles »

things have taken a turn for the worse today , i get the non synch message when i try to load a standard sketch to a UNO via the IDE .just a blink sketch
i have tried loading on a new IDE and drivers but i still get the infernal message that we know so well .
i cant see why the UNO is playing up as well .
looks like the only answer is the avrisp programmer now

Stevelxxxxx

Post by Stevelxxxxx »

Delete the old IDE and drivers before loading new ones. Reset the PC, and make sure you haven't changed anything you may have forgotten about. In other words go back to the standard default settings you had when you first got the board. Lastly, when you finally get it working again, if you are not sure what you are doing, don't screw with it, otherwise it might start playing up again.

knuckles

Post by knuckles »

a pal managed to sort out the pro mini with the usb device from ebay ,it was a broken track on the RX pin at the header end of the sparkfun pro mini .so just used to other RX pin and i can actually download a sketch . :lol:
now back to the uno and the xino to see what their problem is .now i have a proven working usb device i should be able to isolate their problems.
1 step forward 2 steps back .... :(

Stevelxxxxx

Post by Stevelxxxxx »

Sounds like you're stuck in a rut, going around in circles. I gave up trying to boot load a blank chip over a week ago. For myself, I have moved on from that. I bought a couple of pre bootloaded chips, put a circuit together, and now I'm ready to start testing this weekend, and try to improve my skills in c programming. If you're going backwards, either find a way around it, or give up and take another direction.

knuckles

Post by knuckles »

yep i got some fresh chips with a bootloader on order , practicing C and ruby in the meantine till they arrive .

knuckles

Post by knuckles »

have you tried this bootloader sketch from github look up optiloader sketch

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”