resistance present on the p-1602-17

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Christophe

resistance present on the p-1602-17

Post by Christophe »

hello,
i purchased a "RGB LCD Shield Kit w/ 16x2 Character Display - Only 2 pins used! - NEGATIVE DISPLAY ID: 714".
it's a good idea to put all function in the same panel, but i have a little question: i haven't r6 resistor at the rear side of the lcd screen P-1602-17.
Could you confirm me that only r1 to r5 and r7,r8 are usually present ?
Just to be sure to follow all assembly correctly.

Just an idea:
sell metal box permitting to include this shield.
propose a cable permitting to put the panel to a distance depending on the box
(it remind me for example the front panel on Zebra printers)

best regards.
A french guy who bought adafruit product ;-> (with arduino)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: resistance present on the p-1602-17

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It is typical that one or more resistor positions are empty. These are used for configuring the operating mode of the controller. There are a few different revisions of this display out there. The numbering of the resistors may vary between revisions. If you have doubts about the display, you can test it out on a breadboard before soldering it to the shield.

Your idea of a remote display box will work. Very long cables (>2m) can be a problem. But if you keep it short it should be fine.

Christophe

Re: resistance present on the p-1602-17

Post by Christophe »

Already thanks for this quick response ;->

I finished this morning to solder all the components and at the beginning there was just the button who was working.
In fact i just adjusted the resistance and the hello texte appeared, so it's very nice !!!

the goal of my development was to join a communication with my pc.

I took a shield to add a xbee serie 1 module, but the problem is that you cannot stack more than one module.
i will check how to externalyze the adfruit display and put directly the xbee shield on my arduino uno.

I will link my pc with a usb xbee and test at the beginning just with a terminal. After, i will develop dedicated software.

The only one issue could be to share the 5V power to ensure that the curent is not too high ...

The next step will to share pin to have RS485 connection to interconnect and to create and lcd interface.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”