Suggestions on Where to start?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MJuric

Suggestions on Where to start?

Post by MJuric »

Where and what would be the basic suggestions on what to buy for a complete newbie to Arduino?

I have several projects that I would like to eventually build systems for including, Brewing, Green house control, irrigation, Hydroponics....and having a good time with the kid who's 8.

I would say I only have a very basic understanding of both programming and electrical. I can wire basic machines, House wiring, have done some BASIC programs way back when and even mess with a bit of assembly code, HTML etc. Certainly would not consider myself capable but also not completely ignorant.

My first project would probably be the brewing and would only start with some simply programs like taking temperatures in a couple locations and displaying them. I would then probably move to "If the temp reaches "X" then do "Y"" type of stuff and build from there.

Does it seem feasible that a single controller would be able to do something like brewing and then with some coding I/O changes take the same controller and make the vents open on green house based on the exterior/interior temps or turn a sprinkler on etc?

If any of that makes sense where would you suggest a person starts.

I was thinking of buying the Starter set and then a couple of the thermocouples and a little screen of some sort. Is that enough to get to the point of taking temps and displaying them or is something else required?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

~Matt

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Suggestions on Where to start?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

One of the starter packs is a good way to get up to speed. Work through the Arduino tutorials to get a feel for the basics of programming and connecting hardware.

Add a thermocouple or two (we have other temperature sensor options too) and a display. (The RGB LCD shield is a nice way to interface a display and some buttons without tying up all the available pins.) That should get you to the point of measuring and displaying temps pretty quickly.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”