Arduino controller for salami curing chamber

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JerBear

Arduino controller for salami curing chamber

Post by JerBear »

Hi there!

I've been very interested in the maker movement for some time and I've finally stumbled upon a project that I'd like to use as my stepping off point and I'm hoping to get some feedback to find out if my project is feasible (although I'm relatively confident that it is because Arduino seems to be able to do just about everything!)

I've been making fresh and smoked sausages for some time and the next step is to make cured sausages and meats such as salamis and coppa. These meat products are often fermented in a room or chamber (such as an old refrigerator) for about three days then are held in a curing chamber for a minimum of three months. During the fermentation phase the temperature is kept in the 90s and the relative humidity (RH) is held at about 90%. Once curing starts the temp is held about mid-50s and the RH is kept at about the mid-60s. Here's the crux of the project....

I can buy a pre manufactured humidistat for about $75. You enter your set point, plug you ultrasonic humidifier into the humidistat and the humidistat into the wall and you're off to the races. The temperature is controlled in a similar fashion where the refrigerator is plugged into a temperature control unit which is then plugged into a wall socket. These units are normally about $125. Neither option provides a nice LCD or option to send the info to a printer and/or online source though I admit that would be nice to have and far from a requirement. I've similar projects but nothing quite like this but overall I think I can do it cheaper and more effectively without purchasing the pre manufactured units. It only makes sense considering the length I'm willing to go to make my own meat products which can easily be purchased at the store.

I appreciate any feedback you are able to provide.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Arduino controller for salami curing chamber

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

This is well within the capabilities of an Arduino. We have a variety of temperature and/or humidity sensors in the store. You will also need some means for switching the AC mains current. The PowerSwitchTail will be able to handle your humidifier. It is not really designed for a large motor load such as a refrigerator. You might consider tapping into the existing refrigerator control circuit to control the relay that is already there.

JerBear

Post by JerBear »

AWESOME!! The PowerSwitchTail is the missing link I wasn't able to see in anyone else's projects that I was looking at. Thank you so much, can't wait to get started!

easternstargeek

Post by easternstargeek »

Mmmm.
Salami!

Tell you what, I'll help you do it in exchange for one of your wares!

JerBear

Post by JerBear »

I might take you up on that EasternStarGeek. This'll be my first non-food project and I'll need all the help I can get. Step #1, find a suitable refrigerator. I'll be in touch!

pasteur

Post by pasteur »

JerBer,
I'm interested in what you end up configuring. I hope you can update.
The current curing chamber plans out there are pretty unsatisfying, and this seems like this could be a big step forward.

fixer

Post by fixer »

Has this project gone anywhere?

JerBear

Post by JerBear »

Sadly no. I've been concentrating my efforts on getting my fresh sausage (non-dried) business viable and once I have some more money rolling in I'll revisit. Couldn't afford the fridge and necessary equipment without the funds.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”