FlexTech Addressable RGB LED Strip

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
karlman68

FlexTech Addressable RGB LED Strip

Post by karlman68 »

I purchased a FlexTech addressable RGB LED Strip from Home Depot and would like to hack it using my Arduino.

The controller/driver chip on the strip itself is a Power Mos P9816. I cannot seem to find out too much information about it and the datasheets are all in Chinese. It seems pretty standard with just 4 pins:

+5v
Data
Clock
Gnd

Is anyone familiar with this chip and if any of the existing RGB Strip libraries might work with it?

Thank you!

nameniap

Re: FlexTech Addressable RGB LED Strip

Post by nameniap »

I'm not familiar with the chip, but I also just purchased the same (well, I assume that the color and white versions are the same) light set from Kmart, oddly enough) that uses the same chip (P9816). I spent a few hours searching to no avail, and trying to modify the existing adafruit library. At last, I finally found that someone posted Arduino code (not a library, but still useful) for a similar chip, P9813, at: http://seeedstudio.com/wiki/index.php?t ... le_RGB_LED. I was able to use this code without much modification to control my set (the set I bought has 108 leds, in groups of 9 in red, blue, green, & yellow). My modified code is at: https://gist.github.com/4006360.

Hopefully this is of some use to you.

Update - I created a simple bash script that can be executed to demonstrate the serial functionality (it goes through group color assignments): https://gist.github.com/4009063

karlman68

Post by karlman68 »

Thanks Nameniap! Your code worked perfectly. However, I was sad to find out that this is not an RGB strip. Now I realize that each block of 9 LEDs is a fixed color (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow). Why it is cool, it won't be helpful for my application. Thought I had a deal but looks like I need to find another strip. Bummer I cut this one apart already!

Thank you for your response!!

Karl

rverstee

Post by rverstee »

I tried this code with the flextech white led strip. The leds aren't lighting up in any recognizable pattern. Seems like it ought to be wired the same as the 4 color strip. I'm wondering if my setup is wrong. Are you using the power supply that came with it or have you just tossed the original brick altogether?

karlman68

Post by karlman68 »

I would bet money they are wired the same. I don't have the strip anymore but I don't believe they are wired in the order you would expect. I cut the box off and powered it with a 9V battery. Make sure you tie the grounds together for the Arduino and the power supply. I poked a probe through the plastic sheath and verified the wiring.

Good luck!

rverstee

Post by rverstee »

Thanks for your reply. I got it working and they are wired the same. I had two of the wires swapped. For the benefit of anyone else that might try this, my strip is wired as follows (LEDs facing up, cut wires facing you, order of the wires entering the strip from left to right (wires may not exit the brick in the same order):

120VAC----5VDC------DATA-----CLK------GND-----120VAC

Laggstorm

Post by Laggstorm »

Looking for advice on modifying nameniap's code for white strip only. Picked up a few on sale for less than 12 bucks apiece.While the existing code does work for the white strip and Ill get a couple chase patterns, single LED chase, and all fade in/out, Im having no success controlling individual LED's. Every attempt just turns the entire strip off. Id like to add a random twinkle and just cant figure it out.

kc4xsv

Post by kc4xsv »

I'm 'just' a visitor - and have been looking for info on how to mod control of my FlexTech strip.

First I want to say Congrats on making progress with the FlexTech.

All I am trying to do is simply achieve a 'constant on' state, and if possible, a fade or a breath function.

No software to work with - not really any knowledge of electronics! I have 30+ years of mechanical production system operation/repair - but am a dummy in this regard. :roll:

Can anyone offer some friendly advice? :)
Thanks

ck1

Post by ck1 »

nameniap wrote:I'm not familiar with the chip, but I also just purchased the same (well, I assume that the color and white versions are the same) light set from Kmart, oddly enough) that uses the same chip (P9816). I spent a few hours searching to no avail, and trying to modify the existing adafruit library. At last, I finally found that someone posted Arduino code (not a library, but still useful) for a similar chip, P9813, at: http://seeedstudio.com/wiki/index.php?t ... le_RGB_LED. I was able to use this code without much modification to control my set (the set I bought has 108 leds, in groups of 9 in red, blue, green, & yellow). My modified code is at: https://gist.github.com/4006360.

Hopefully this is of some use to you.

Update - I created a simple bash script that can be executed to demonstrate the serial functionality (it goes through group color assignments): https://gist.github.com/4009063
Thank you for the code. I had a small issue with it. Individual pixel lighting didn't initially work, but everything else worked fine. Once I selected'Newline' at the bottom right of the serial monitor on the Arduino from 'No line ending' it all started to work.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”