Mouse Sensor
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Mouse Sensor

by tailer on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:04 am

Hey,

i dont know where i can start with my problem.

What do i want to do?
I want to detect the moving of an band of Metal or plastik. I thought about some mechanic things, but for my projekt i need some exact value like an lasermouse sensor or so.
I thought about "rotary decoding" like an old mousewheel or so. There i´ve got the precission problems and i can not detect an minimal moving of the strip.

I found something on the internet by Sparkfun.
touch this ;-)

So this works for one band i think, but i need it 32 times and i have to recognize every single moving. So that i know which band moves forward or backwards. I thought about something like an BUS-system, so that everysensor got his own ID an sends an String to the mainboard.

So at all, is it possible to wire 32 of the sparkfun-device and recognize every single position with a sort of an BUS system?
I want to use an Arduino Mega to get all these things connected and to interpret it.

Sorry for my bad english.
I´m glad to hear from anyone an hint or an solution.

Thanks
Patrick
Attachments
2012-11-10 08.43.57_1024.jpg
schematic
2012-11-10 08.43.57_1024.jpg (390.49 KiB) Viewed 447 times
tailer

Re: Mouse Sensor

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:03 am

I am not familiar with that sensor. Have you asked this question over at Sparkfun?
adafruit_support_bill

by tailer on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:41 am

Yes, i wrote an email to the technical support of Sparkfun and i´m waiting for an answer.
tailer

by tldr on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:57 pm

sparkfun no longer makes that board because the sensor in its raw state is a form of unobtainium. it can, however, be found in old optical mice. it's easy to interface to using an spi like protocol. it would be even easier if it had a ~cs line, but i don't think it does.

find a place with a bin of cheap optical mice. buy one. open it up. if it's got a compatible chip, buy 31 more.
"If I had known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself." - Phillip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly
tldr

by adafruit_support_rick on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:12 pm

Can you put any sort of marking on the bands?
adafruit_support_rick

by Plasmo on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:33 pm

Has anyone found any information on the Sparkfun board? I'm trying to use this hack as a scanner for quantifying bound parasites, but not having much luck. Been through a number of mice, but so far it's a needle in a haystack finding suitable sensors.
Plasmo