FTDI work around

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
greywuuf

FTDI work around

Post by greywuuf »

I know this is a complicated way to do a simple thing, but I will be assembling a Menta tomarrow, and adafruit is out of stock of the FTDI friend. I know, I could order a cable but I didn't and it would be next weekend before I got it now anyway...... SO what I do have is a beagle bone ( happily serving web pages to my network for my personal pleasure and for me to practice web design on ) that is communicatiing over its own FTDI device on the USB cable to either a windows or a linux computer. is there a way to hi-jack the FTDI connection to my beagle bone and have it pass a sketch to an arduino ( or clone) ?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: FTDI work around

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You can hijack the Tx & Rx signals. But you need to be careful of the voltage levels. The Menta can handle the 3.3v logic levels from the Bone, but the 5v signals from the Menta may be damaging to the Bone. There is also the matter of the auto-reset. I'm not sure how that is handled on the Bone, but you can work around this on the Arduino/Menta by manually hitting reset as the upload starts.

greywuuf

Post by greywuuf »

Placed my order, guess I just have to be patient now. Thanks !

greywuuf

Post by greywuuf »

Received my FTDI friend yesterday and it works like a charm! Did not have much time to play, but my 10 year old daughter and I changed the times in the blink sketch several times. In all it was great fun, and we can not wait to play more with the bread board and some sensors this weekend.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”