HC-SR04 Sensor Controlling Servo

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
infoseek

HC-SR04 Sensor Controlling Servo

Post by infoseek »

I am working on a project using an HC-SR04 Ping Sensor to control a servo motor.

Basicly when an object gets within about 30 cm of the sensor the servo will move about 60 degrees then quickly return back to 0.

I have been searching for a sample sketch for this project for a few days. So far I have found a few examples that involve both the sensor and servo but haven't found the code. I am thinking it would require an If Statement but not sure.

Any help getting me in the right direction would be great appreciated!!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: HC-SR04 Sensor Controlling Servo

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We don't carry the Ping sensor, so we don't have any example code using it. But you are correct; an 'if' statement will do what you want. Something like this:

Code: Select all

if (distance < 30)
{
  servo.write(60)
}
else
{
  servo.write(0)
}

infoseek

Post by infoseek »

Thank you for the reply.

I really want to get a good grasp on understanding the code rather than searching for sketches for every project I do. Are there video tutorials out there other than youtube?

Thanks again!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Not sure about video tutorials, but there are lots of tutorials on Instructables. And we have a ton of tutorials covering most of the products we sell here:
http://learn.adafruit.com/
http://www.adafruit.com/tutorials

infoseek

Post by infoseek »

I have combined the Servo Sweep sketch, the NewPing sketch and your suggestion and I must say I am pretty pleased so far.

At first my servo vibrated and felt very warm until I tweeked the code a bit changing the position that the servo stopped at from 0 to 20.

Also, I needed the servo to move when an object reached anywhere from 60 cm or closer so I changed the If statement from "if (cm = 60)" to "if (cm >= 01 && cm <=60)". Using && did the trick!! The reason I didn't use 0 to 60 is that the ultrasonic sensor returns 0 cm if there isn't an object within 500 cm. That would cause the servo to activate when there is not need.

Code: Select all

#include <Servo.h> 
#include <NewPing.h>

Servo myservo;  // create servo object to control a servo 

int pos = 20;    // variable to store the servo position 

#define TRIGGER_PIN  13  // Arduino pin tied to trigger pin on the ultrasonic sensor.
#define ECHO_PIN     12  // Arduino pin tied to echo pin on the ultrasonic sensor.
#define MAX_DISTANCE 500 // Maximum distance we want to ping for (in centimeters). Maximum sensor distance is rated at 400-500cm.

NewPing sonar(TRIGGER_PIN, ECHO_PIN, MAX_DISTANCE); // NewPing setup of pins and maximum distance.

void setup() 
{ 
  Serial.begin(9600); // Open serial monitor at 9600 baud to see ping results.

myservo.attach(9);  // attaches the servo on pin 9 to the servo object 
} 

void loop() 
{ 
  delay(100);                // 29ms should be the shortest delay between pings.
  int cm = sonar.ping_cm(); // Send out the ping, get the results in centimeters.
  Serial.print("Ping: ");
  Serial.print(cm);         // Print the result (0 = outside the set distance range, no ping echo)
  Serial.println("cm");

if (cm >= 01 && cm <=60)  // If the cat sneaks up within 60cm he gets it!!
  {
    myservo.write(40);     // the servo moves to trigger the trap
  }
  else
  {
    myservo.write(20);    // return to starting position and wait for the cat

}

} 

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”