Simple connectors/plugs to drive off board devices

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
claytonrcarter

Simple connectors/plugs to drive off board devices

Post by claytonrcarter »

I have a simple Arduino project that needs to interface with a couple of off board devices using either 2 or 3 wires that are directly connected to those devices. I would love to be able to use plugs or connectors in between the Arduino and the devices instead of having to basically permanently connect them. I don't need high amperage or anything like that (breadboard jumpers are working fine in my prototype) just something with plug ends that "snap" together securely.

What do other folks use as in-line plugs for 2 and 3 wire connections?

Clayton

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Simple connectors/plugs to drive off board devices

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

To shamelessly plug my own product, the Patch Shield ( http://www.adafruit.com/products/256 ) does more or less what you're talking about. I often solder the wires at one end of an Ethernet cable directly into a circuit, then leave the plug on the other for easy connecting/disconnecting.

If you want to DIY something similar, you can get phone jacks and phone cables from any hardware store. Those give you four wires per jack/cable, which is closer to the size you mentioned.

Those are medium-distance solutions BTW.. 1' to 100'. For connections less than 1' (and less than about 8 signals) I use pin header and the corresponding 'box connectors'. For more than 8 signals, I use ribbon cable and the appropriate connectors.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”