DIY speedometer based on Fritzing+Arduino

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tlerdrden

DIY speedometer based on Fritzing+Arduino

Post by tlerdrden »

Hello;
I would share with you a project that I've developed recently, this is a speedometer based on Fritzing and Arduino.
What I’ve done in this project:
- Design of a speed sensor wich consists of: Reed Switch+Resistor+Plug, using Fritzing.
- Arduino Code- I will share it in my blog-.
- Components selection and mount: Power source, mounting jack connectors, cables, etc.
Compounds of the project:
- 9V Battery + Jack connector.
- Arduino R2.
- LCD Shield from DFRobot.
- Speed sensor –designed with Fritzing-.
- Others: Cables, connectors, etc.
At this weekend I’ve already mounted on the bycicle the speed sensor and I’ve performed the early tests of the prototype. Here I put you the conclusions I’ve arrived:
Conclusions after the first test:
- Improper contrast of the LCD screen. In the day light I can’t see the characters of the screen.
- I need a box where I can put the electronics.
- The speed calculated by the microprocessor is too high. I guess that, modifying the code I will solve the problem – I will share my experience when I do it-.
- The speed sensor works properly. However, I would improve the design, some comments:
o The connection between the 3 cables –VCC / GND /Signal- I’ve done is soldering
o 1 cable (with 3 wires), better than 3 cables.
o The circuit is outdoors. How could cover it in order to do it more resistant?

Therefore, here I put my questions for you:
- As the LCD can’t show the data properly in the day light. ¿What options do I have in the market – other technologies I mean-?
- What software or other tools exist in order to design a box where I can put the electronics – basically the arduino, batteries and LCD-. Do you know industrial designers who can help me? Do you have any other ideas?
- What options do I have in order to improve the speed sensor design, because it must be more resistant and easier to mount it.
- What cable -3 in 1- would suit to this application?
- Does exist any DFRobot LCDShield enclosure?
Finally, I attach you the link where I have posted photos and comments of the project:
http://opironelectronics.blogspot.com.es/
Thanks in advance,
Anton

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”