Pulse sensor Amped Not Working

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cutie_lovely_92

Pulse sensor Amped Not Working

Post by cutie_lovely_92 »

I bought a pulse sensor amped. connect it to Arduino UNO just like explain in the pulse sensor tutorial.
It is said that "Arduino pin 13 blink in time with your heartbeat when you hold the sensor on your fingertip", but mine doesn't blink.
Everytime i touch the sensor pin 13 only lights up continuously.

I have repeat the tutorial for more than 5 times, so i'm sure i did nothing wrong.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with it? Is it because of the new code version? or is there any simple code to try it, just by simply printing the result in serial monitor?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Pulse sensor Amped Not Working

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Post a photo showing all your connections.

cutie_lovely_92

adafruit_support wrote:Post a photo showing all your connections.
Attachments
result in processing window.
result in processing window.
result2.png (81.77 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
result in serial monitor.
result in serial monitor.
result.png (31.49 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
The pulse sensor connection to Arduino UNO. Red to 5V, black to GND, purple to A0.
The pulse sensor connection to Arduino UNO. Red to 5V, black to GND, purple to A0.
photo.JPG (486.91 KiB) Viewed 4247 times

adafruit_support_bill

Your connections look fine. Did you install the clear vinyl sticker over the face of the sensor? (There should be a small sheet of them in the package.)

The PulseSensor folks also have the following recommendations:
You may find that some fingers or parts of fingers are better than others. For example, I find that
when I position the sensor so that the edge of the PCB is at the bottom edge of my earlobe I get an awesome
signal. Also, people with cold hands or poor circulation may have a harder time reading the pulse. Run your
hands under warm water, or do some jumping-jacks!

cutie_lovely_92

adafruit_support wrote:Your connections look fine. Did you install the clear vinyl sticker over the face of the sensor? (There should be a small sheet of them in the package.)
Yes I install the vinyl sticker already. I did like what it has been told. But still the BPM doesn't show. only the graph shows.
And is there any way I could just print the result on the serial monitor to see the number of BPM there?

I added serial.print(BPM);, but doesn't appear.

adafruit_support_bill

Can you post the Arduino code you are using?

cutie_lovely_92

adafruit_support wrote:Can you post the Arduino code you are using?
There are 2 arduino code:
PulseSensorAmped_Arduino_1dot1.ino

Code: Select all

/*
>> Pulse Sensor Amped 1.1 <<
This code is for Pulse Sensor Amped by Joel Murphy and Yury Gitman
    www.pulsesensor.com 
    >>> Pulse Sensor purple wire goes to Analog Pin 0 <<<
Pulse Sensor sample aquisition and processing happens in the background via Timer 2 interrupt. 2mS sample rate.
PWM on pins 3 and 11 will not work when using this code, because we are using Timer 2!
The following variables are automatically updated:
Signal :    int that holds the analog signal data straight from the sensor. updated every 2mS.
IBI  :      int that holds the time interval between beats. 2mS resolution.
BPM  :      int that holds the heart rate value, derived every beat, from averaging previous 10 IBI values.
QS  :       boolean that is made true whenever Pulse is found and BPM is updated. User must reset.
Pulse :     boolean that is true when a heartbeat is sensed then false in time with pin13 LED going out.

This code is designed with output serial data to Processing sketch "PulseSensorAmped_Processing-xx"
The Processing sketch is a simple data visualizer. 
All the work to find the heartbeat and determine the heartrate happens in the code below.
Pin 13 LED will blink with heartbeat.
If you want to use pin 13 for something else, adjust the interrupt handler
It will also fade an LED on pin fadePin with every beat. Put an LED and series resistor from fadePin to GND.
Check here for detailed code walkthrough:
http://pulsesensor.myshopify.com/pages/pulse-sensor-amped-arduino-v1dot1

Code Version 02 by Joel Murphy & Yury Gitman  Fall 2012
This update changes the HRV variable name to IBI, which stands for Inter-Beat Interval, for clarity.
Switched the interrupt to Timer2.  500Hz sample rate, 2mS resolution IBI value.
Fade LED pin moved to pin 5 (use of Timer2 disables PWM on pins 3 & 11).
Tidied up inefficiencies since the last version. 
*/

//  VARIABLES
int pulsePin = 0;                 // Pulse Sensor purple wire connected to analog pin 0
int blinkPin = 13;                // pin to blink led at each beat
int fadePin = 5;                  // pin to do fancy classy fading blink at each beat
int fadeRate = 0;                 // used to fade LED on with PWM on fadePin

// these variables are volatile because they are used during the interrupt service routine!
volatile int BPM;                   // used to hold the pulse rate
volatile int Signal;                // holds the incoming raw data
volatile int IBI = 600;             // holds the time between beats, the Inter-Beat Interval
volatile boolean Pulse = false;     // true when pulse wave is high, false when it's low
volatile boolean QS = false;        // becomes true when Arduoino finds a beat.

void setup(){
  pinMode(blinkPin,OUTPUT);         // pin that will blink to your heartbeat!
  pinMode(fadePin,OUTPUT);          // pin that will fade to your heartbeat!
  Serial.begin(115200);             // we agree to talk fast!
  interruptSetup();                 // sets up to read Pulse Sensor signal every 2mS 
   // UN-COMMENT THE NEXT LINE IF YOU ARE POWERING The Pulse Sensor AT LOW VOLTAGE, 
   // AND APPLY THAT VOLTAGE TO THE A-REF PIN
   //analogReference(EXTERNAL);   
}

void loop(){
  sendDataToProcessing('S', Signal);     // send Processing the raw Pulse Sensor data
  if (QS == true){                       // Quantified Self flag is true when arduino finds a heartbeat
        fadeRate = 255;                  // Set 'fadeRate' Variable to 255 to fade LED with pulse
        sendDataToProcessing('B',BPM);   // send heart rate with a 'B' prefix
        Serial.print(BPM);
        sendDataToProcessing('Q',IBI);   // send time between beats with a 'Q' prefix
        QS = false;                      // reset the Quantified Self flag for next time    
     }

ledFadeToBeat();

delay(20);                             //  take a break
}

void ledFadeToBeat(){
    fadeRate -= 15;                         //  set LED fade value
    fadeRate = constrain(fadeRate,0,255);   //  keep LED fade value from going into negative numbers!
    analogWrite(fadePin,fadeRate);          //  fade LED
  }

void sendDataToProcessing(char symbol, int data ){
    Serial.print(symbol);                // symbol prefix tells Processing what type of data is coming
    Serial.println(data);                // the data to send culminating in a carriage return
  }

Interrupt.ino

volatile int rate[10];                    // used to hold last ten IBI values
volatile unsigned long sampleCounter = 0;          // used to determine pulse timing
volatile unsigned long lastBeatTime = 0;           // used to find the inter beat interval
volatile int P =512;                      // used to find peak in pulse wave
volatile int T = 512;                     // used to find trough in pulse wave
volatile int thresh = 512;                // used to find instant moment of heart beat
volatile int amp = 100;                   // used to hold amplitude of pulse waveform
volatile boolean firstBeat = true;        // used to seed rate array so we startup with reasonable BPM
volatile boolean secondBeat = true;       // used to seed rate array so we startup with reasonable BPM

void interruptSetup(){     
  // Initializes Timer2 to throw an interrupt every 2mS.
  TCCR2A = 0x02;     // DISABLE PWM ON DIGITAL PINS 3 AND 11, AND GO INTO CTC MODE
  TCCR2B = 0x06;     // DON'T FORCE COMPARE, 256 PRESCALER 
  OCR2A = 0X7C;      // SET THE TOP OF THE COUNT TO 124 FOR 500Hz SAMPLE RATE
  TIMSK2 = 0x02;     // ENABLE INTERRUPT ON MATCH BETWEEN TIMER2 AND OCR2A
  sei();             // MAKE SURE GLOBAL INTERRUPTS ARE ENABLED      
} 

// THIS IS THE TIMER 2 INTERRUPT SERVICE ROUTINE. 
// Timer 2 makes sure that we take a reading every 2 miliseconds
ISR(TIMER2_COMPA_vect){                         // triggered when Timer2 counts to 124
    cli();                                      // disable interrupts while we do this
    Signal = analogRead(pulsePin);              // read the Pulse Sensor 
    sampleCounter += 2;                         // keep track of the time in mS with this variable
    int N = sampleCounter - lastBeatTime;       // monitor the time since the last beat to avoid noise

//  find the peak and trough of the pulse wave
    if(Signal < thresh && N > (IBI/5)*3){       // avoid dichrotic noise by waiting 3/5 of last IBI
        if (Signal < T){                        // T is the trough
            T = Signal;                         // keep track of lowest point in pulse wave 
         }
       }

if(Signal > thresh && Signal > P){          // thresh condition helps avoid noise
        P = Signal;                             // P is the peak
       }                                        // keep track of highest point in pulse wave

//  NOW IT'S TIME TO LOOK FOR THE HEART BEAT
  // signal surges up in value every time there is a pulse
if (N > 250){                                   // avoid high frequency noise
  if ( (Signal > thresh) && (Pulse == false) && (N > (IBI/5)*3) ){        
    Pulse = true;                               // set the Pulse flag when we think there is a pulse
    digitalWrite(blinkPin,HIGH);                // turn on pin 13 LED
    IBI = sampleCounter - lastBeatTime;         // measure time between beats in mS
    lastBeatTime = sampleCounter;               // keep track of time for next pulse

if(firstBeat){                         // if it's the first time we found a beat, if firstBeat == TRUE
             firstBeat = false;                 // clear firstBeat flag
             return;                            // IBI value is unreliable so discard it
            }   
         if(secondBeat){                        // if this is the second beat, if secondBeat == TRUE
            secondBeat = false;                 // clear secondBeat flag
               for(int i=0; i<=9; i++){         // seed the running total to get a realisitic BPM at startup
                    rate[i] = IBI;                      
                    }
            }

// keep a running total of the last 10 IBI values
    word runningTotal = 0;                   // clear the runningTotal variable    

for(int i=0; i<=8; i++){                // shift data in the rate array
          rate[i] = rate[i+1];              // and drop the oldest IBI value 
          runningTotal += rate[i];          // add up the 9 oldest IBI values
        }

rate[9] = IBI;                          // add the latest IBI to the rate array
    runningTotal += rate[9];                // add the latest IBI to runningTotal
    runningTotal /= 10;                     // average the last 10 IBI values 
    BPM = 60000/runningTotal;               // how many beats can fit into a minute? that's BPM!
    QS = true;                              // set Quantified Self flag 
    // QS FLAG IS NOT CLEARED INSIDE THIS ISR
    }                       
}

if (Signal < thresh && Pulse == true){     // when the values are going down, the beat is over
      digitalWrite(blinkPin,LOW);            // turn off pin 13 LED
      Pulse = false;                         // reset the Pulse flag so we can do it again
      amp = P - T;                           // get amplitude of the pulse wave
      thresh = amp/2 + T;                    // set thresh at 50% of the amplitude
      P = thresh;                            // reset these for next time
      T = thresh;
     }

if (N > 2500){                             // if 2.5 seconds go by without a beat
      thresh = 512;                          // set thresh default
      P = 512;                               // set P default
      T = 512;                               // set T default
      lastBeatTime = sampleCounter;          // bring the lastBeatTime up to date        
      firstBeat = true;                      // set these to avoid noise
      secondBeat = true;                     // when we get the heartbeat back
     }

sei();                                     // enable interrupts when youre done!
}// end isr

adafruit_support_bill

I've been experimenting a bit with one here. It does seem to be a bit sensitive to position. I get the best results from the very tip of my finger.

Looking at the interrupt code, you might be able to change the sensitivity by altering the default "thresh" value. (I haven't tried this yet myself)
thresh is defined here:

volatile int thresh = 512;                // used to find instant moment of heart beat
And reset here:

if (N > 2500){                             // if 2.5 seconds go by without a beat
          thresh = 512;                          // set thresh default
          P = 512;                               // set P default
          T = 512;                               // set T default
          lastBeatTime = sampleCounter;          // bring the lastBeatTime up to date       
          firstBeat = true;                      // set these to avoid noise
          secondBeat = true;                     // when we get the heartbeat back
         }
To get just the BPM on the serial monitor, comment out the other "sendDataToProcessing" calls in the loop:

void loop(){
  //sendDataToProcessing('S', Signal);     // send Processing the raw Pulse Sensor data
  if (QS == true){                       // Quantified Self flag is true when arduino finds a heartbeat
        fadeRate = 255;                  // Set 'fadeRate' Variable to 255 to fade LED with pulse
        sendDataToProcessing('B',BPM);   // send heart rate with a 'B' prefix
        //sendDataToProcessing('Q',IBI);   // send time between beats with a 'Q' prefix
        QS = false;                      // reset the Quantified Self flag for next time    
     }

ledFadeToBeat();

}

cutie_lovely_92

adafruit_support wrote:I've been experimenting a bit with one here. It does seem to be a bit sensitive to position. I get the best results from the very tip of my finger.
I try comment out the sendDataToProcessing in the loop:

void loop(){
  //sendDataToProcessing('S', Signal);     // send Processing the raw Pulse Sensor data
        //sendDataToProcessing('B',BPM);   // send heart rate with a 'B' prefix
      Serial.print(BPM);
        //sendDataToProcessing('Q',IBI);   // send time between beats with a 'Q' prefix
     }

ledFadeToBeat();

}
RESULT:

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
why is the result not in numbers? is it because the variable is declare volatile?

adafruit_support_bill

You need to set the baud-rate in your Serial Monitor to 115200. (see setting in lower right corner).

I did a bit more testing and found that I have better results with a default threshold value of about 475. But it is still pretty sensitive to placement. The code does not seem to handle variations in the signal level very well.

cutie_lovely_92

adafruit_support wrote:You need to set the baud-rate in your Serial Monitor to 115200. (see setting in lower right corner).

I did a bit more testing and found that I have better results with a default threshold value of about 475. But it is still pretty sensitive to placement. The code does not seem to handle variations in the signal level very well.

Thanks alot it's showing already.
It seems that the pulse sensor are printing the result only doesn't shown in the BPM on the processing window.
1 last problem, is it normal that the pulse sensor only detect heart rate everytime I put my fingers on it and doesn't do it continuously?
Or should it continuously detect heart rate even after putting the fingers on it?

adafruit_support_bill

It should detect continuously as long as your finger is on it. Looking at the PulseSensor forums, a lot of people seem to have problems getting a steady signal.
http://pulsesensor.proboards.com/index. ... esensorand

cutie_lovely_92

adafruit_support wrote:It should detect continuously as long as your finger is on it. Looking at the PulseSensor forums, a lot of people seem to have problems getting a steady signal.
http://pulsesensor.proboards.com/index. ... esensorand
Yes, I go through that forum already, but seems no one really get the solution for it. And no reply from the pulse sensor forum owner. Kinda BANNED.

So basically I will only need to find the perfect spot to make it able to detect continuously right?
And btw when we combine more than a sensor, for example I combine pulse sensor in A0 and temperature sensor in A1, will it be any voltage problem? or may be need more power supply?

adafruit_support_bill

I will only need to find the perfect spot to make it able to detect continuously right?
That seems to be the case.
And btw when we combine more than a sensor, for example I combine pulse sensor in A0 and temperature sensor in A1, will it be any voltage problem? or may be need more power supply?
Should not cause any problems with power.

cutie_lovely_92

adafruit_support wrote:
I will only need to find the perfect spot to make it able to detect continuously right?
That seems to be the case.
Should not cause any problems with power.
Ok. Will try doing further. Thanks alot for the guidance and help.:)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”