Dead-reckoning navigation with gyro and accelerometer

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ranger9

Dead-reckoning navigation with gyro and accelerometer

Post by ranger9 »

I just ordered the new gyro breakout and accelerometer breakout, and hope to use them to make a "way finder" that will work indoors (so, no GPS or compass.)

It's for a game/activity involving guiding people around an art installation to perform various activities... so, only a "walking-around" level of accuracy is needed.

Questions/issues:

1) I'm pretty sure I can capture turning info from the gyro board. But high-school physics was a long time ago, and I don't think I remember the math for calculating distance and velocity info from the accelerometer data. Anyone got a pointer to some sample code or a library that might help with some of the heavy lifting?

2) Is an Arduino Micro going to be powerful enough to handle these calculations?

Thanks for any info...

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Dead-reckoning navigation with gyro and accelerometer

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Despite its size, the micro is a powerful little thing and should handle the calculations. The best resource for arduino-based inertial navigation would probably be DIYDrones. They specialize in aerial drones, but the calculations are basically the same as for your application. And they have a pretty active forum.

http://diydrones.com/forum

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”