Arduino Micro - Upload sketch error

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Syn7

Arduino Micro - Upload sketch error

Post by Syn7 »

Hi.

Ok I just got my Micro the other day and got around to setting it up and I cannot upload a sketch.

I have an Uno R3, it works fine

I installed the driver from the arduino-1.0.3 driver folder. All seemed well. I checked which COM it was, all good. Start the arduino software, select micro, COMx, open blink, compile, upload. All goes well at first, then it just stalls where it normally stalls for a second at the end but in this case that 1 second is more like 5 minutes. Then I get the "problem uploading to board" Error and it says
Binary sketch size: 4,830 bytes (of a 28,672 byte maximum)
Found programmer: Id = "BpŸ"; type =
Software Version = ; Hardware Version =
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?
I have tried changing usb ports. I have tried resetting and letting go afer the upload starts. I've searched the arduino forums and they pretty much suggested to do what I have done or go ask at Adafruit (which is where I got it). Not having much luck.

It is running the lil Italian test sketch in the serial monitor, before and after my fails. So it seems to be working. The underside blue is lit, pin 13 is doing an blink type thing, and I get a RX blink once every 5 or 6 seconds but not TX except when it disconnects and reconnects, then I get both lit solid briefly. Otherwise, I get no love from RX or TX. Looks like it tries fails waits tries fails waits etc etc then just gives up after so many tries. With my Uno I get fast blinks when I'm sending or receiving. But these are slow and like a couple hundred micro seconds.

Any help would be much appreciated.

S.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Arduino Micro - Upload sketch error

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What kind of USB ports does your computer have? Are they USB 3.0?
Try using a USB 2.0 port (Or put a USB 2.0 hub between the Micro and your USB 3.0 port).

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

Thanx for answering. :)
2.0, four of em. I have run through all of them. Also, more info, I'm running Vista (sp2). The only thing I have thought of that I can't test is the cable itself. Unfortunately I don't have any other devices to use it with. It's one of the A-mini B from Adafruit. It's getting power, the 5 reads 4.8 and the 3.3 reads 3.3. Nothing really seems to be wrong other than the uploading sketches thing. I'm using an HPDV9000 laptop. My desktop is in a box, but it has xp still. Maybe I'll dig it out. I noticed in the Arduino tutorials that the Leonardo was only tested on XP and 7, but I figured since the Uno works well, I should be ok. I love how small this one is, I need it :D

adafruit_support_bill

From what you describe, the pre-loaded sketch is communicating via Serial Monitor. But it could still be a marginal cable problem. The 32U4's do have trouble with the USB 3.0 ports on some machines. But there is variation among USB 2.0 ports too. Try it with any other computers and/or cables you have handy.

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

Yup, the serial monitor seems to be in a println loop saying TESTADA or something like that. So it mos def transmits. Recieving is questionable at this point. I'll drag out the desktop and try on XP. I have no other a-bmini cables or devices that uses one. So I cannot test that. But I'll do all I can. Let you know.

Thanx for the help, much appreciated.

Anyone else go through this?

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

Ok so I tried on XP. Same thing. Except in XP, no reaction in the serial monitor. Tried again, it works. Blink is uploaded and working fine. Serial montor works fine. All is good.

So that's good, and I'm glad it works and everything is in good shape. But I still need to use it with my laptop. Any ideas?

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

So all the USB ports on my laptop are 2.0. It's newer than my desktop, but my desktop I built myself and chose good parts. The laptop is a HP DV9000 and I don't know much about the USB ports themselves other than that they are 2.0. As far as I can tell, it's either vista or the USB ports themselves.

Does anyone run a Micro successfully on Vista?
How often do you guys hear of it not working with some 2.0 parts?

adafruit_support_bill

I'll see if I can track down a Vista machine to test on. USB 3.0 is more finicky in general that 2.0 - probably due to tighter timing constraints. But we do see problems on machines with USB 2.0 ports too.

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

So if it was my USB ports, that's that then, yes? Nothing I can do?

Thanx for the help, much appreciated.

adafruit_support_bill

So if it was my USB ports, that's that then, yes? Nothing I can do?
Maybe. You can check with the manufacturer for updated drivers. Also, you might have better luck connecting through a hub.

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

I did try with an old usb hub. Pre 2.0. No luck. But it may be too old now. I will check for updates, and let you guys know how it works out for the next guy who has a problem.

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

So the Micro works great on my desktop w/ XP. Still no go on Laptop w/ Vista. The logical answer is that my USB ports just don't like it, I guess. Ironically the laptop is newer than the desktop.

Anyone have similar issues that can offer some insight? It's not the worst thing in the word, I guess. I mean, it works and I can use it w/ the desktop. Not knowing why just kinda bothers me. the whole reason why I got the micro was to slap in on a breadboard and lug it around with my laptop for doing work outside of my home.

I have to buy a powered hub for my Pi anyways. Hopefully that will make a difference.

So should I make sure I get a 2.0 hub since 3.0 has Micro issues sometimes? 2.0 should be more than good enough w/ the Pi anyways, no?

adafruit_support_bill

We have heard of similar strange issues with the Leonardo (which uses the same processor as the Micro). This post may be of interest: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 15#p163487

Not sure exactly what is different about those ports yet. These are both pretty new platforms and we are all still learning. If you do find something, please post it here for the benefit of others.

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

Yeah for sure. And yes, thanx, I was aware it used the same chip as leonardo and the install instructions were the same on the arduino site. So yeah, I kinda assumed.

How bout the USB question? I'm thinking your USB 2.0 Powered Hub is the way to go. Getting a 3.0 may just be asking for trouble, yes?

adafruit_support_bill

We have seen mixed results with 3.0. 2.0 is a safer bet at this point.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”