Help with UNO, GPS Breakout and BMP085 components

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Racer1

Help with UNO, GPS Breakout and BMP085 components

Post by Racer1 »

Hello…. Could you please help me with a problem I'm having setting up ADAFRUIT components. I purchased adafruit products through Sky Probe one of your retailers (mistake) and can't them them to give me any direction / help regarding how the adafruit components work together. These components will be sent to near space (90k ft) in a capsule / weather balloon to retrieve accurate temp, gps, pressure data.

Needed: Instruction on how the UNO, GPS Breakout and BMP085 piece together (wiring schematic) and how they are powered. (I've seen the adafruit website and tutorials and still not sure of the total process).

a. Can the UNO, GPS Breakout and BMP085 be powered by a 9v battery ???
b. What gauge wire should i use to connect UNO, GPS Breakout, BMP085 together ???
c. Do i mount everything to a bread board then it's complete and ready to go ???
d. Whats the best way to test if the system is working ???
e. Will the ada components be able to take accurate readings through the styrofoam ???
f. What are your thoughts on securing the ada system in the capsule (modified styrofoam cooler) for flight ??? Can i tape them down or will that change or damage readings ???

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Help with UNO, GPS Breakout and BMP085 components

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

a) For a while. These cells don't have much capacity. Also expect the output to drop quite a bit with low temps at altitude. You would probably be better off with something like 3x CR123 lithium cells in series.
b) It is not critical. 22 Ga. hookup wire will be fine.
c, d) A breadboard is good for prototyping and testing. But not so robust for flight. I would recommend transferring your circuit to a "PermaProto" board and soldering all connections. https://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main ... permaproto
e) GPS and pressure measurements should be fine (you may want to make sure there are some pin-holes to allow the pressure to equalize) Temperature measurements may be off due to the insulating value of the foam and the heat generated by the electronics.
f) Double-sided foam tape usually works well. Avoid covering the opening on the pressure sensor.

The wiring will just be a combination of the diagrams in the tutorials. I can try to sketch up a combined diagram later this afternoon.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Uno wiring for Ultimate GPS + BMP085
[Edit - corrected GPS serial connections]
Attachments
BalloonSensors-1024.jpg
BalloonSensors-1024.jpg (46.74 KiB) Viewed 759 times

abrosio

Post by abrosio »

Hi,
i are interested in building this circuit for a high altitude balloon, there is a code already ready?

Thanks
Antonino

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”