Mega328 shipped with Boarduino (DC version) seems dead

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chris marrin

Mega328 shipped with Boarduino (DC version) seems dead

Post by chris marrin »

I built a Boarduino, got the power light to come up and plugged in the mega328 that came with the board. Pressing reset got the red led to blink 3 times, so all seemed well. But attempting to program the board (using the Arduino IDE on a Mac), using both an FTDI cable and an AVR Dragon, gave an error:

Code: Select all

avrdude: jtagmkII_setparm(): bad response to set parameter command:RSP_FAILED
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): ISP activation failed, trying debugWire
avrdude: jtagmkII_setparm(): bad response to set parameter command:RSP_DEBUGWIRE_SYNC_FAILED
avrdude: failed to sync with the AVR Dragon in ISP mode
avrdude: jtagmkII_close(): timeout/error communicating with programmer (status -1)
I also ran a program called AVRFuses to read the fuses on the part and this failed as well.

So, I grabbed a known good mega328, plugged it in and retried. It worked fine. I was able to program the Blink example and see the LED on the Boarduino blink normally. I also verified that the AVRFuses program could read the fuses while the part was plugged into the Boarduino. Seems like I have a bad mega328? Are there other things I should try to see what the problem might be?

I've sent in a request for a new 328.

PS - I'm really happy with the small size and functionality of the Boarduino. I look forward to using it to breadboard my projects!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Mega328 shipped with Boarduino (DC version) seems dead

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

So, I grabbed a known good mega328, plugged it in and retried. It worked fine.
That pretty much confirms that the boarduino and programming setup is right. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we'll send you a new one.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”