Powering an Arduino + Motor Shield Project

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
IntelliTom

Powering an Arduino + Motor Shield Project

Post by IntelliTom »

Hi Fruits

I am nearing the end of a prototype phase on a current arduino project. It's an arduino with an AdaFruit Motor Shield and it's running 1 stepper motor. The stepper motor I have is unbranded/unlabelled so I don't know it's actual power requirements. Using a variable bench power supply it seems to run best at 9v 0.50a It will take more volts, but at over 12v the motor and board started to warm up. The only other electronics the arduino is using is 4 LEDs with minimal use.

So now I want to put it all in a box with a simple 'wall wart' type power supply. I'm trying to work out how you power both the arduino and shield together. At the moment I have the arduino plugged into USB and the shield hooked up to the bench psu. Is there a way to combine the power for both? If so, how do I work out the power rating?

I am a total beginner, so would very much appreciate some advice.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Powering an Arduino + Motor Shield Project

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If your stepper motor is running at 9v 0.5A, you may be able to run the whole thing on a 9v-1A supply like this one: http://www.adafruit.com/products/63
The easiest way is to plug the power supply connector into the Arduino and install the power jumper on the shield. This will connect the motor supply to the Arduino VIN.

Stepper motors typically don't cause as many power-supply problems as DC motors. But if you experience erratic operation, you you may need to go to separate supplies.

IntelliTom

Re: Powering an Arduino + Motor Shield Project

Post by IntelliTom »

Thanks AdaFruit. I shall try out your suggestion.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”