Brand new but... avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jakekarnes42

Brand new but... avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Post by jakekarnes42 »

Hello support:

Today I got the first chance to try to use my new Arduino Uno R3 that I purchased from Adafruit. When I tried to upload the Blink sketch to make sure everything was functioning, I received this error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00.

So I googled around and saw that this was an issue that several people had but I didn't see anyone else note that their Arduino boards were brand new from Adafruit. Nevertheless I tried the common solutions to this problem including: pressing the reset button (there is no blinking from the LEDs when I do this), new USB cable, check COM port, check selected board in IDE, different example sketches, and unplugged and replugged. None of these changed the results.

This is the verbose output of the upload:

Code: Select all

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 19:38:36
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.3\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : \\.\COM4
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: 
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done.  Thank you.
Relevant information: In summary, I wasn't doing anything fancy. This board simply didn't work. I am frustrated because I tried the common solutions posted in these forums but to no avail. I paid extra to rush this product to me because I needed it this weekend but it seems defective.

Thank you for helping me resolve this problem.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Brand new but... avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Do the TX or RX LEDs blink at all when you try to upload?
Try a different USB port?
Do you have a powered USB hub? Try connecting to the Uno through that.
Try rebooting the computer?
Try reinstalling the driver?

jakekarnes42

Post by jakekarnes42 »

Thank you for the prompt reply.

The TX and RX LEDs do not blink at all when I'm trying to upload or otherwise.

I have tried all the USB ports on my laptop unsuccessfully.

I do not have a powered USB hub.

Rebooting the computer did not help.

Reinstalling the drivers did not help.

Again, thank you for the speedy response and the suggestions. But my problem has not been solved.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

When you connect and disconnect the Arduino does the computer recognize that a USB device has been connected and what port is it connected on (Device Manager)?

crustycat

Post by crustycat »

I had the same experience when getting started. I am running Windows 8 64 bit and had a difficult time getting the unsigned drivers loaded successfully. I understand that Windows 7 has a similar issue with unsigned drivers. I found the following link that was helpful for me: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=94651.15

The attached Word doc may help you determine if your UNO is communicating with your computer. The screen shots and instructions assume you have a Windows based machine.

jakekarnes42

Post by jakekarnes42 »

When I connect and disconnect the Arduino the computer recognizes that there is a USB device on port COM4. The device manager sees this, and the IDE attempts to connect on the same port, so I don't think it's a port issue.

And I doubt that there is driver issue. I've installed (and reinstalled) the drivers. After doing this, each time the device manager sees the device as an Arduino Uno R3 (which is correct). The device manager says that the device is working properly, even though it clearly isn't. This leads me to believe that there is an issue with the Arduino and not my laptop configuration.

See the attachment of my device manager screen after successful driver installation.

Thank you for the answers though. It really is appreciated.
Attachments
Device Manager Screen Shot
Device Manager Screen Shot
Device_Manager_Capture.JPG (46.25 KiB) Viewed 4251 times

westfw

Post by westfw »

pressing the reset button (there is no blinking from the LEDs when I do this)
You don't see ANY LEDs blink at all after you hit reset? The "L" LED should blink three times rapidly immediately after reset; if it's not doing so it could mean that the main CPU is not operational, or does not have the bootloader properly installed.

jakekarnes42

Post by jakekarnes42 »

No LEDs blink when I hit the reset button. The reset button has no effect.

I think the CPU is bad, which is a shame because this is new from Adafruit. I didn't even get the chance the break it myself.

adafruit_support_rick

Sounds like a clunker. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread and ask for a replacement

BeerCannon

Post by BeerCannon »

Do you have the correct board selected (i.e. Arduio Uno) in the Arduino IDE under "Tools->Board"?

Also, sometimes if you have circuit parts connected to digital pins 0 and/or 1 the upload doesn't work. When that happens, I disconnect the stuff from those two pins, upload, then re-connect to those pins.

jakekarnes42

Post by jakekarnes42 »

BeerCannon
I did have the correct board selected in the IDE and I didn't have any connections on pins 0 or 1. I didn't know that could be even be an issue though. So thank you for teaching me that.

driverblock -
Email sent. Thank you for your help.

LancasterFarms

Post by LancasterFarms »

I was getting this error also. I had been compiling/uploading without problems while progressing during a project, then started getting the error.

The project involved getting TTY data into the board via the serial input. After much trial-and-error, I concluded that removing the connection to the arduino's serial input port during the upload removed the error. I would reconnect it after the upload and everything worked fine.

That may not apply to other users' problems, but the approach was to simplify the board's environment until the error went away.

niggan8

Re: Brand new but... avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync:

Post by niggan8 »

I am also having this issue. I have another device using the COM port that the Arduino detects. When I go to device manager the Arduino is there on COM1, but in the program it only detects COM2 (which fails of course with this error). What do I do?? This is a brand new board I havent even been able to upload one program to it!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Brand new but... avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync:

Seriously? COM1? I've never seen a Windows box where COM1 was not reserved by the system and available for assignment to a plug-in device.

How do you have the Arduino connected to the computer?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”