Using IR to switch relay????

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
khelms

Using IR to switch relay????

Post by khelms »

I want to be able to use a remote control to switch on a relay. I am not using any code, just basic knowledge of IR. The circuit turns an LED on when i push the button on the remote. i am using the output to the led to switch the relay. so when i push the remote button the relay goes off, The problem i have is that the IR signal is not steady and there for the relay makes noise but does not actually complete a connection. any ideas on how to make that signal steady so the relay with function properly? The Relay will be used as a switch for a code i made for an automatic skeet thrower release

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Using IR to switch relay????

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

IR remotes use a PCM-encoded signal over a 38KHz carrier. If you filter out the carrier, you're still going to get a pulse-train with varying widths of ~1.. 4ms.

Use a big- enough cap and you might smooth out the signal train itself, but IR remotes repeat the signals about 10/sec, with a gap of about 60ms between each signal.

I don't think I see any way to simply connect an IR detector to a relay and have it do what you seem to want to do.

khelms

Post by khelms »

thank you. i am familiar with the workings of IR signal. I think ill try messing with caps. See if i can find one that will smooth that out put signal to something that will keep that relay on. thanks for the idea

abqlewis

Post by abqlewis »

If you add a diode to your cap circuit, it may help the smoothing (like rectifying an AC input).
If you can't get the caps to work smoothly, you can use a 555 as a pulse stretcher. A little more circuitry, but there is no code attached!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”