Wave Shield help

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nycjay01

Wave Shield help

Post by nycjay01 »

Hi

I have just finished soldering a wave shield for my daughter and when we connect it to the Arduino the speaker makes a loud buzzing sound. I have not loaded the code on to the Arduino yet but should that make a difference?

Thanks!

-John

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Wave Shield help

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That doesn't sound right. Post photos of the front and back of the shield and we'll check your assembly.

nycjay01

Post by nycjay01 »

adafruit_support wrote:That doesn't sound right. Post photos of the front and back of the shield and we'll check your assembly.
I wound up ordering a new wave shield.. This one has the similar symptoms...

Im on my second wave shield took my time verified everything before soldering looks just like the pic but still no joy. My daughter has the babel fish kit. Which includes an Arduino/wave shield/RFID card. The the RFID works fine on the arduino but as soon as a attached the wave shield the lights on the RFID card go dim i unplug the wave shield and the RFID card lights back up... Is that a circuitry problem? Also and the power port on the arduino gets SUPER HOT (Which worries me since a bunch of rowdy 11 year olds will be playing around with this) when the wave shield is plugged into the arduino. Also when I plug my headphones in I still get the loud high pitch buzz..

I looked over the parts and they are all in the right place. The only thing that I cant verify is if the capacitors + and - leads are in the right place. I also cant load up sketches they fail to compile

Something is def wrong...

Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Make sure you are plugging it into the UNO correctly:
Line up the gap between the two digital-pin headers. If you have an UNO R3, there will be 2 extra header pins on the UNO on the end near the USB port.

nycjay01

Post by nycjay01 »

adafruit_support wrote:Make sure you are plugging it into the UNO correctly:
Line up the gap between the two digital-pin headers. If you have an UNO R3, there will be 2 extra header pins on the UNO on the end near the USB port.

They are definitely lined up. Theres def something wrong with the wave shield.. When I plug it up to the arduino the lights on the arduino shut off.

adafruit_support_bill

Post photos of the front and back of the shield and we'll check your assembly.

nycjay01

Post by nycjay01 »

Here are some pics not I have many more let me know if you cant see what you need to.

Your help is appreciated..

Thanks!
Attachments
w3.JPG
w3.JPG (119.63 KiB) Viewed 604 times
w2.JPG
w2.JPG (115.72 KiB) Viewed 604 times
w1.JPG
w1.JPG (140.21 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Last edited by nycjay01 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

Your image links are not working. Try using the "Upload Attachment" tab under the message edit box.

nycjay01

Post by nycjay01 »

adafruit_support wrote:Your image links are not working. Try using the "Upload Attachment" tab under the message edit box.
Attachments
w7.JPG
w7.JPG (90.44 KiB) Viewed 601 times
w8.JPG
w8.JPG (105.8 KiB) Viewed 601 times

adafruit_support_bill

I don't see anything that looks like a short circuit, but a good many of your solder joints do not wet the solder pad well enough to make a reliable joint. Read through this guide and re-touch as necessary to make good solder joints: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... n-problems

nycjay01

Post by nycjay01 »

adafruit_support wrote:I don't see anything that looks like a short circuit, but a good many of your solder joints do not wet the solder pad well enough to make a reliable joint. Read through this guide and re-touch as necessary to make good solder joints: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... n-problems

Thanks. I will touch those up tonight. How about the capacitors. If the + and - leads were soldered backwards would that cause any issues? Im reffereing to C1 C4 C9..

adafruit_support_bill

In my experience, backwards caps usually just heat-up and fail. But there may be other failure modes. Are there any particular components or areas of the board that get hot when you connect it to the Arduino? If you find the hot-spot, you will find the short.

nycjay01

Post by nycjay01 »

adafruit_support wrote:In my experience, backwards caps usually just heat-up and fail. But there may be other failure modes. Are there any particular components or areas of the board that get hot when you connect it to the Arduino? If you find the hot-spot, you will find the short.
The Arduino gets super hot when I plug in the power supply to the wall outlet and mount the wave shield. It does not get hot when i plug in to the wall and mount the RFID card or if it's plugged up by it self to the wall outlet. The crazy part is that the wave shield does not really heat up...

My poor kid :-) she's really trying.. I will help her look over the soldering spots that look like they need more tonight.

Thanks again for your help.

adafruit_support_bill

Any particular part of the Arduino that gets hot? I'm guessing the voltage regulator, but it it were something else it might give us another clue.

Also, check to make sure that there is nothing shorting out between the shield and the metal shell of the USB port.

nycjay01

Post by nycjay01 »

adafruit_support wrote:Any particular part of the Arduino that gets hot? I'm guessing the voltage regulator, but it it were something else it might give us another clue.

Also, check to make sure that there is nothing shorting out between the shield and the metal shell of the USB port.

Power port gets hot. I will check those tonight..

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”