Wave Shield help

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: Wave Shield help

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Right next to the DC power port there should be a voltage regulator. If that is getting hot, then the short is somewhere in the 5v circuitry. If it is just the DC power jack, then the short is on VIN alone. That would narrow down the search a bit.
Attachments
Voltage Regulator.png
Voltage Regulator.png (301.79 KiB) Viewed 675 times

nycjay01

Post by nycjay01 »

adafruit_support wrote:Right next to the DC power port there should be a voltage regulator. If that is getting hot, then the short is somewhere in the 5v circuitry. If it is just the DC power jack, then the short is on VIN alone. That would narrow down the search a bit.
The arduino is perfectly fine. As a matter of fact, I left the RFID shield stacked on the arduino and plugged up to the wall outlet and it was warm but not super hot like when I plug in the wave shield. So something is def. wrong with the wave shield. I cleaned up many of the solder spots you pointed out.

The spot on the wave shield that over heats is right behind the earphone jack. The chip right behind the earphone jack specifically gets really hot. and the speakers have a loud buzzing sound like a mosquito on steroids :-)

Also I dont know if this matters or not but the power supply that I received with the babel fish kit is a 9v.

adafruit_support_bill

The chip right behind the earphone jack specifically gets really hot.
It's a little hard to see in the photos, but I think you might have these op-amps installed backwards. Check the orientation of the notch on the chip with respect to the outline on the board.

nycjay01

Post by nycjay01 »

adafruit_support wrote:
The chip right behind the earphone jack specifically gets really hot.
It's a little hard to see in the photos, but I think you might have these op-amps installed backwards. Check the orientation of the notch on the chip with respect to the outline on the board.
Good catch... The semi circle notch on that top chip is on the outside edge. I think the instructions show the notch going towards the SD Card bay... can I redo that solder and flip that chip around?

adafruit_support_bill

You can give it a try. But it might be a bit 'overcooked' and need to be replaced.

nycjay01

Post by nycjay01 »

adafruit_support wrote:You can give it a try. But it might be a bit 'overcooked' and need to be replaced.

The whole shield?

adafruit_support_bill

The damage is most likely limited to the op-amp.

If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can send you a replacement WaveShield Op-Amp for your daughter's Babel Fish.

nycjay01

Post by nycjay01 »

adafruit_support wrote:The damage is most likely limited to the op-amp.

If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can send you a replacement WaveShield Op-Amp for your daughter's Babel Fish.
Ok so we removed the old chip and put the new one in place... No crazy humming sound and no over heating. So that is a step in the right direction.

Now :-)

We at the code part of this project... I have the libs at c:\users\john\my documents\arduino\libraries\waveHC and at c:\arduino\libraries\waveHC (same as the RFID reader libs)
I dont see them though when I do file\sketchbook ( closed and reopened the app) Is there a simple test to make sure the arduino is actually talking to the wave shield?

Thanks

nycjay01

Post by nycjay01 »

nycjay01 wrote:
adafruit_support wrote:The damage is most likely limited to the op-amp.

Ok so we removed the old chip and put the new one in place... No crazy humming sound and no over heating. So that is a step in the right direction.

Now :-)

We at the code part of this project... I have the libs at c:\users\john\my documents\arduino\libraries\waveHC and at c:\arduino\libraries\waveHC (same as the RFID reader libs)
I dont see them though when I do file\sketchbook ( closed and reopened the app) Is there a simple test to make sure the arduino is actually talking to the wave shield?

Thanks
I can now see the wavehc when I do file \ sketchbook\ I see wavetest and daphpc but I get compile errors:

C:\arduino-1.0.4\libraries\WaveHC\FatReader.cpp: In function 'void printEntryName(dir_t&)':
C:\arduino-1.0.4\libraries\WaveHC\FatReader.cpp:48: error: 'Serial' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino-1.0.4\libraries\WaveHC\FatReader.cpp:49: error: 'Serial' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino-1.0.4\libraries\WaveHC\FatReader.cpp:53: error: 'Serial' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino-1.0.4\libraries\WaveHC\FatReader.cpp: In member function 'void FatReader::lsR(dir_t&, uint8_t, uint8_t)':
C:\arduino-1.0.4\libraries\WaveHC\FatReader.cpp:74: error: 'Serial' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino-1.0.4\libraries\WaveHC\FatReader.cpp:95: error: 'Serial' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino-1.0.4\libraries\WaveHC\FatReader.cpp:99: error: 'Serial' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino-1.0.4\libraries\WaveHC\FatReader.cpp:102: error: 'Serial' was not declared in this scope

My card is currently set to FAT i tried to fomat the card to FAT32 and I get the same errors...

Any ideas?

adafruit_support_bill

I have the libs at c:\users\john\my documents\arduino\libraries\waveHC and at c:\arduino\libraries\waveHC
You should only have them at the first location. The compiler can get confused if you have more than one copy of the library.
I dont see them though when I do file\sketchbook
You should see waveHC when you do File->Examples

nycjay01

Post by nycjay01 »

adafruit_support wrote:
I have the libs at c:\users\john\my documents\arduino\libraries\waveHC and at c:\arduino\libraries\waveHC
You should only have them at the first location. The compiler can get confused if you have more than one copy of the library.
I dont see them though when I do file\sketchbook
You should see waveHC when you do File->Examples
Ok we placed them in C:\Users\John\Documents\Arduino\libraries\waveHC (we unzipped them in that dir)

When we do file/examples we can see wavehc then when we load up daphc compile we get the errors below:

BtW in that zip that we downloaded it has several folders. So that entire waveHC is in the directory above...

daphc.cpp.o: In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0':
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:10: undefined reference to `WaveHC::WaveHC()'
daphc.cpp.o: In function `sdErrorCheck()':
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:94: undefined reference to `SerialPrint_P(char const*)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:96: undefined reference to `SerialPrint_P(char const*)'
daphc.cpp.o: In function `error_P(char const*)':
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:83: undefined reference to `SerialPrint_P(char const*)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:84: undefined reference to `SerialPrint_P(char const*)'
daphc.cpp.o: In function `play(FatReader&)':
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:119: undefined reference to `FatReader::open(FatVolume&, directoryEntry&)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:124: undefined reference to `SerialPrint_P(char const*)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:125: undefined reference to `printEntryName(directoryEntry&)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:133: undefined reference to `SerialPrint_P(char const*)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:134: undefined reference to `printEntryName(directoryEntry&)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:135: undefined reference to `WaveHC::create(FatReader&)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:136: undefined reference to `SerialPrint_P(char const*)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:139: undefined reference to `WaveHC::play()'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:143: undefined reference to `SerialPrint_P(char const*)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:106: undefined reference to `FatReader::readDir(directoryEntry&)'
daphc.cpp.o: In function `loop':
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:73: undefined reference to `FatReader::rewind()'
daphc.cpp.o: In function `setup':
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:29: undefined reference to `SerialPrintln_P(char const*)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:31: undefined reference to `SerialPrint_P(char const*)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:32: undefined reference to `FreeRam()'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:35: undefined reference to `SdReader::init(unsigned char)'
daphc.cpp.o: In function `SdReader::partialBlockRead(unsigned char)':
/SdReader.h:119: undefined reference to `SdReader::readEnd()'
daphc.cpp.o: In function `setup':
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:45: undefined reference to `FatVolume::init(SdReader&, unsigned char)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:53: undefined reference to `SerialPrint_P(char const*)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:55: undefined reference to `SerialPrint_P(char const*)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:59: undefined reference to `FatReader::openRoot(FatVolume&)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:64: undefined reference to `SerialPrintln_P(char const*)'
C:\arduino-1.0.4/daphc.pde:67: undefined reference to `FatReader::ls(unsigned char)'

adafruit_support_bill

Ok we placed them in C:\Users\John\Documents\Arduino\libraries\waveHC (we unzipped them in that dir)
Did you delete the other one? Renaming the folder is not enough. You might want to read through this tutorial: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-all- ... nstall-use

nycjay01

Post by nycjay01 »

adafruit_support wrote:
Did you delete the other one? Renaming the folder is not enough. You might want to read through this tutorial: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-all- ... nstall-use

Progress!! So we got the wave shield to play the test files (do re me etc,.) For some reason the arduino creates a second library folder in C:\Users\John\Documents\Arduino\libraries\waveHC making it C:\Users\John\Documents\Arduino\libraries\libraries\waveHC. I copied the folder in there and everything compiled.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”