Troubleshooting! help with avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Faye_V

Troubleshooting! help with avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Post by Faye_V »

Hi Adafruit support,

I was reading a locked topic about this error cause I got the same:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I'm working with an Arduino UNO Rev3 board and everything was going ok until my sketchs would no longer upload because of this error. What could have caused this error?

- I checked the serial COM port and it's the correct port
- The Rx and Tx lights don't flash when "uploading" message is shown
- I tried hard resetting the board shorting briefly RESET pin and GND and didn't work either
- I tried uploading ArduinoISP sketch, same message
- Already tried with a new USB cable, doesn't work either

All of the above is done while nothing is connected to the board but the USB cable.

How can I solve this? Please if someone solved it, help me with this, thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Troubleshooting! help with avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Do you see any led activity when the upload starts or when you open the Serial Monitor?

Faye_V

Re: Troubleshooting! help with avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Post by Faye_V »

The only led activity I see is ON led and L led (green and orange) on, but no blinking. Could this be because of a damaged bootloader?
If so, how does a bootloader stops working? Is there a way to upload a bootloader again?

Thank you for your response!

adafruit_support_bill

Do you see any led activity when you press the reset button?

Faye_V

Post by Faye_V »

When I press the reset button L (orange led) blinks.

adafruit_support_bill

When I press the reset button L (orange led) blinks.
That means that your bootloader is OK.

It sounds like the problem is in the 16U2 chip that handles the USB/Serial interface. Some people have had revived their boards by re-flashing the 16U2 chip. See here for details: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p129582

Faye_V

Post by Faye_V »

Thank you a lot, I'll try that solution!
It sounds like the problem is in the 16U2 chip that handles the USB/Serial interface.
Why could that happen? So I can avoid having the same problem again..

adafruit_support_bill

Why could that happen? So I can avoid having the same problem again..
Not sure. We have never experienced that phenomenon here - and I haven't heard a good explanation of it either.

Faye_V

Post by Faye_V »

Oh I see.. So I tried following the steps shown on the Arduino page, but my board won't reset when I shortcircuit the two pins that stick out closest to the USB serial port. I got stuck there, how can I DFU reset my board?

adafruit_support_bill

but my board won't reset .
Do you mean the board or the 16U2? Does the Uno still show up as a serial device?

As I said, we haven't encountered this problem firsthand, so our knowledge of it is only from what we have read. This site has the most detailed reset procedure I have seen so far: https://www.virtuabotix.com/?p=673

wag4803055

Post by wag4803055 »

I have this problem, also, but only when using the Arduino as the programmer. When I use my AVRTinyISP uploads work just fine. My arduino board beagn with me as one with a fried processor, which I replaced with a sample. I downloaded all of the Arduino environment and drivers, purchased and used a AVRTinyISP to upload the Boot Loader. After which I uploaded the Blink program, all using the 6 pin ISP connection. But when I the attempt upload using the onboard USB interface I get the red message shown in the subject line, above. I worked to finally get the serial port to be correct, but the upload still fails. Everything about the setup, drivers, etc. is correct. Then I saw a mention in a post of enabling the use of verbose output during upload and the shift ket while pushing the upload button. The only strange thing that appears in the verbose output is the message of "overriding baud rate :19200". This is odd because I know that the COM channel is set to 9600. It would appear that the arduino environment is searching for an understandable response from the board during upload and it's changing the baud rate to do so. I imagine when it gets a response, ascii characters, but does not recognize them, it quits, printing the avrdude stk500... message. It could be that the serial input pin on the FTDI chip is blown, probably during the same event that fried the processor, also hit the FTDI chip, but limited only to the serial input pin. Pleas give you comments if this diagnosis makes sense or not. meanwhile I will try ti get a replacement FTDI chip.

adafruit_support_bill

It would help to give us at least some some basic information.
  • What kind of Arduino?
    What bootloader is on the chip?
    What board-type are you setting in the IDE?
    What is the diagnostic output when you try to upload?

Sanborn

Post by Sanborn »

I have this same problem with my Uno and IDE 1.5.2.

I can program the Uno a few times but then BAM I get the same error as the OP. If I uninstall the Arduino Uno from Device Manager and reinstall the problem will reset.

I'm fairly certain this is a Win8 64-bit problem for me, can the OP confirm what their OS is?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”