100mm Arcade Button to Arduino Hookup

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
christianwins

100mm Arcade Button to Arduino Hookup

Post by christianwins »

Hi,

Just received the 100mm Arcade Button https://www.adafruit.com/products/1189 and trying to replace the small pushbutton from this project: http://www.oomlout.com/oom.php/products/ardx/circ-07

There are 4 hookups on the arcade micro switch, are they the same as the 4 hookups on the small button? My guess is that two are for the 12v Arcade LED, but haven't found any documentation on it.

Either way, any ideas how to hook up the switch to the Arduino to take the spot of the small button?

Thanks in advance.

Franklin97355

Re: 100mm Arcade Button to Arduino Hookup

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you have a meter you could put it across two pins and see whach ones short when you push the button.

christianwins

Post by christianwins »

franklin97355 wrote:If you have a meter you could put it across two pins and see whach ones short when you push the button.
That did the trick, thanks for the idea.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The switch should have labels on the side near each connector. IIRC, the lugs are named 'COM', 'NO', 'NC', '+' and '-'.

- The '+' and '-' lugs power the LED built into the button.

- 'COM' stands for 'common'. It's basically the input pin.

- 'NO' stands for 'normally open'. Pressing the switch shorts this one to COM. It's usually the other connection you want.

- 'NC' stands for 'normally closed'. It does exactly the opposite of NC.. it starts shorted to COM, and the connection breaks when you press the button.

funkytaco

Post by funkytaco »

I used a multimeter to figure mine out as well. I wish this info was in the product page. Only technical details is a dimensions schematic.
I see a NO, COM pin on my 100mm Arcade button, in case anybody runs across this.

Also, FYI, the LED terminals are 3/16", and the other two are 1/4". I think the connectors are called "Female Quick Disconnect" (kind of like my ex-girlfriend's). You guys should consider offering these; most suppliers seem to sell in packs of 100...

Thanks.

molex1701

Post by molex1701 »

Hello,
I also recently purchased the button. I guess we all watched the hal video they made :). I don't see any markings to know what is what as well. But I'll see what matches up with the multimeter as suggested. It also looks like led part should twist into place but mine doesn't . It will just fall out otherwise. I'm looking forward to using this in my clock project for the turn off alarm button. Going to have the led light up when its time to press the alarm so that the clock can be seen easier at night. I gather they figured out how can we goof up a button, but I do my best at these things :)

christianwins

Post by christianwins »

It took a while to figure out how to properly twist it into place for mine.

molex1701

Post by molex1701 »

So its a puzzle box too... :shock:

funkytaco

Post by funkytaco »

Maybe this will help somebody:

The two terminal posts pointing straight down are for the LED. Just hook up some gator clips and a 9v battery to test (might need to flip battery around if you get it wrong).

I couldn't get the button working on my beaglebone, so I went back to Arduino.

Hook one to GND, one to 5V. That is all you need to do.

If it doesn't work, it's probably because you didn't solder. I didn't solder because I wanted to get the proper terminal clips. I ended up just buying a pack of 100 on Amazon.

molex1701

Post by molex1701 »

Thanks for information, More the merrier. If I get a video camera later I might try to show how to use it. Still hadn't gotten it to twist correctly I think though. Shouldn't the white tabs press against the yellow part. Well its yellow on the red button?

funkytaco

Post by funkytaco »

Shouldn't the white tabs press against the yellow part. Well its yellow on the red button?
Yes, the white tabs push on the yellow tongue on the switch.

While I was working on it, I just put the button aside and pressed the yellow tongue with my thumb.

Did you say you're twisting the cable and not soldering it? I found it didn't work properly until I soldered on the wires (I soldered the wires to terminal clips myself).

molex1701

Post by molex1701 »

Thanks for confirming the mechanics of it.

No it was for twisting the switch part into the button part. Looks like there are grooves for it to twist together and lock but mine just doesn't seem to do that.

Frustrating button. I hadn't felt well to work with it much lately. I'll try again though. I'm at the point where I want to make a simple box to hold my clock and have button mounted on it for alarm. Also bought Adafruit's colored buttons for menu and selection.

molex1701

Post by molex1701 »

Well as it was, this time the bottom part did twist into the top part. At first it sounded like something broke but I didn't notice any changes. Just took a bit more oomph.

Now I'll have to design the box so can hold the 16x24 matrix, this button on top along with the menu buttons. Arduino uno, ethernet shield, and real time clock module inside. Along with photo-sensor on top cause going to have the led dim when darker. Oh and battery. Hrm going to be a big clock.

roseschlossberg

Post by roseschlossberg »

hi - does this button require any resistors to pull it up or down? im getting so much noise on my serial monitor that its not working as an effective switch and in past experience resistors help with serial noise. thanks!!

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Usually a mechanical switch benefits from a pull up/down resistor depending on how you have it wired.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”