Rookie help?? Arduino behaves differently with Protoshield installed
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Rookie help?? Arduino behaves differently with Protoshield installed

by treimers on Sat May 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi all --

I'm working on a project that involves an Arduino Uno R3, an Ethernet board and a Prototyping shield.
I have successfully plugged the Ethernet board (from RadioShack, made by Seeed)
onto the Arduino, and run a test sketch that allows it to be a mini webserver, posting the analog values.
I get logging messages in the Serial monitor indicating that the Ethernet board is getting an address via DHCP, etc.
I can then check the IP address on my configured TCP port and see the analog values.
All good.

But when I add in the prototyping board, like this:
Ethernet board on top
Prototyping board
Arduino (with USB power)

I can communicate easily enough with the Arduino - I get lights on the protoshield
I get lights on the Ethernet board.
My switchport goes link state up

But I don't get an IP and nothing shows up on the webpage.

I'm not sure what's not working.
The serial monitor doesn't output anything in any case, so no info from there.

The only pins I can see that don't carry through from the Ethernet board to the Ardunio
are the six ISP pins at the back of the boards.
The Ethernet board does not support the second set of ISP pins at the front corner near the USB,
and the prototyping board doesn't allow me to configure the connectors needed to bridge
between the pins on the Arduino to a female socket on the proto board to more male pins on top of the proto board,
so that the female socket on the Ethernet board will have something to plug into.

Although - my understanding is that there isn't anything on the ISP pins that's normally needed...

Thanks for any ideas anyone has on what's making the proto shield interfere between the Ethernet board and the Arduino...
treimers

Re: Rookie help?? Arduino behaves differently with Protoshield installed

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun May 05, 2013 5:08 am

From the Ethernet Shield page: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoEthernetShield
Arduino communicates with both the W5100 and SD card using the SPI bus (through the ICSP header).

That is why they build this shield with stacking headers - so you can stack things like your proto-shield on top.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: Rookie help?? Arduino behaves differently with Protoshield installed

by treimers on Sun May 05, 2013 10:36 am

OK -

So I guess there are two types of the manufactured boards like the Ethernet, GSM, and other specialized boards-
- a version without headers, designed for when you need only that one board on top of the Arduino
and another version of each board with headers, so that you can stack other boards on if you need to.

I didn't realise that the manufactured boards must always be directly on the Arduino, with
any homebrew boards on top of that, as you say.

thanks for your explanation!
treimers