ATMEGA328 Question

by greenleiftea on Fri May 24, 2013 1:43 pm

Good afternoon community, new user here.

I was about to order the ATMEGA328 standalone programmer shield kit (http://www.adafruit.com/products/462#Description)

I am planning on programming it for a project using the FFFT library. And since it will be going on the road, I was hoping to put everything onto a breadboard.

I was wondering if the ATMEGA328 can support an external library, or if there is another mechanism on the Arduino that enables external libraries to be used.

Thank you,

Matthew
greenleiftea

Re: ATMEGA328 Question

by tldr on Fri May 24, 2013 6:35 pm

there is an arduino fft library available, here. just download the file, unzip it, and move the contents to the libraries directory in your sketchbook.
"If I had known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself." - Phillip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly
tldr

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri May 24, 2013 11:41 pm

The microcontroller itself doesn't know anything about libraries. All it sees is a bunch of machine code in its Flash memory.

The Arduino IDE (which generates the machine code and writes it to the chip via the Arduino bootloader) does support libraries, on the scheme tldr mentioned.

The programmer shield writes machine code directly to the microcontroller, without going through the Arduino bootloader. You use that for programming blank microcontrollers or writing firmware that doesn't need the Arduino bootloader.
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.
adafruit_support_mike

by greenleiftea on Mon May 27, 2013 1:38 pm

Thank you tldr and Mike for the responses. I appreciate the help.
greenleiftea