Switch on LED with NFC through Arduino
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Switch on LED with NFC through Arduino

by RossoBimbo on Tue May 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi Adafruit community,

after been looking around the forum quite a while i couldn't find what i was looking for, so here i am asking help to the experts.

I had this idea for a project that, whenever comes in range of a "sensor", switches on (HIGH) a LED/motor/whatever other device, and keeps it that way until the, let's call it "sensor", is couple of meters away from the device above mentioned.

One of the "sensor" could be a mobile phone which is why i thought bluetooth could be a good idea, but after looking around at all the shields available i've noticed that are a bit oversized compared with what my constraints are. So here's the idea of using an RFID/NFC tag in order to activate the device, and hopefully leave it HIGH until is next to it.

I'm open to any solution as long as is compact and in an acceptable price range.

Thanks in advance
RossoBimbo

Re: Switch on LED with NFC through Arduino

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue May 28, 2013 3:17 pm

until the, let's call it "sensor", is couple of meters away from the device

Our RFID/NFC is not going give you that kind of range. (There are more powerful systems with longer ranges, but they cost much more too).

Depending on what it is you want to sense and how precisely you want the range to be defined, ultrasonic sensors might be appropriate. Bluetooth and XBee radios might also work for you.
adafruit_support_bill

by RossoBimbo on Tue May 28, 2013 4:18 pm

thanks for the prompt reply,

what's the range for the RFID/NFC? it might do the job, whenever the LED has to stay HIGH would only be half meter away.

Bluetooth as i mentioned before was my first thought but the shield are extremely big, and being the activating device mainly an iPhone 4 the BLE standard is not conceived (i know i could install a compatible BTstack on a jailbroken device, but i'd rather keep it clean).

To be honest i never dealt with ultrasonic sensors, but as long as it keeps the LED activated while in range is fine to me.

Where can i find some tutorial on how to setup this shields all together, or eventually what the best configuration would be?!?

thanks in advance
RossoBimbo

by adafruit_support_rick on Tue May 28, 2013 4:31 pm

RossoBimbo wrote:what's the range for the RFID/NFC?

Up to 10cm, roughly.
adafruit_support_rick

by RossoBimbo on Tue May 28, 2013 4:38 pm

ok, then RFID/NFC are out.

The ultrasonic won't help either because the device has to work only with authorised sensors, meanwhile this one would activate all the time.
RossoBimbo