Help programming an arduino pro mini

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
XOIIO

Help programming an arduino pro mini

Post by XOIIO »

Alright, so I ordered an pro mini clone off Ebay (well actually 3), one came with a free usb to serial adapter. They are all running the "blink" sketch it seems so I know they have been programmed, but I am having trouble. Yeah yeah I know, probably not looked well upon by these forums if you use a clone board, but since these are going to be used in something that is very likely going to be destroyed I didn't want to spend the full amount for a real one.

Whenever I try to upload code though, I just get this error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
I have the 1.0.3 IDE set to pro/pro mini, 5v, with the atmega328 (this is my version), serial port is com 3 (windows installed drivers for me, oh yeah, I'm running win7 64 bit), and the AVRISP MKII programmer. I have also gone into device manager and enabled set rts on close for this serial port to enable auto reset as it said, but if I turn that off nothing changes.

If I enable the verbose mode, this is the output:
Using Port : \\.\COM4
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
And, if I hold shift, I get this:
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"
It seems that the problem is when it is receiving, but I have no clue why. I have tried to test the serial adapter by connecting RX to TX, as I read that it should echo whatever I type in the serial monitor but I get nothing back. The seller says that everything is tested though, and with a 92% or greater reputation and 241 of these sold I'm sure that he is right.

I have also tried wiring the TX, RX, GND, 5v, and reset pins from my mega to the pro mini to see if that worked but it did not.

Anyways, I have spent several hours on this, can someone please help? I've searched high and low for a solution to no avail.

I did notice the baud rate is kind of odd, is that possibly part of the problem?

tldr

Re: Help programming an arduino pro mini

Post by tldr »

XOIIO wrote:. Yeah yeah I know, probably not looked well upon by these forums if you use a clone board, but since these are going to be used in something that is very likely going to be destroyed I didn't want to spend the full amount for a real one.
actually, i think you'll probably be referred to the sparkfun forums for issues with clones of their devices.

programmer selection is irrelevant since you're programming an arduino board. the trick is to pick the right board. look towards the bottom of the list for the pro mini variants. pick the one with the right processor running at the correct speed and you may be golden if your clone works at all.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”