What sensor for monitor network with camera and wifi

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
oldogtrik

What sensor for monitor network with camera and wifi

Post by oldogtrik »

My ultimate goal is to install a series of weatherproof systems around my farm that: when a sensor is tripped, a camera takes a picture and a base station is notifed. At that time the unit reporting the activity is accesed from the base and the picture is downloaded.
I have an Arduino Uno and a Raspberry Pi and want to use Arduinos as the monitors and the RPi as base. I am working through Arduino tutorials now and I am just about ready to start on a prototype monotor. My first question is what should I use for a sensor? The PIR modules are less expensive the the Sonar sensors, a factor since I plan on five or six stations. But if I enclose them in clear boxes (Adafruit 905 or Otterbox 339) which sensor will work best in an enclosure?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: What sensor for monitor network with camera and wifi

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Are you aware that the weatherproof cameras we sell here have motion detection built-in:
Detecting Motion
A neat thing that the camera has built in is motion detection. It will look for motion in the video stream and alert the microcontroller (by sending a serial data packet) when motion is detected. IN this way you can save a bit of cash and skip on having a PIR sensor (although a PIR sensor will be better at detecting warm mammalian things).

oldogtrik

Re: What sensor for monitor network with camera and wifi

Post by oldogtrik »

Thank You. I was not aware of this. Also the price is not much more then the basic camera and it is itself wetherproof and has night ability. Plus it can be outside the main enclosure leaving more room in the case for batteries and such.
I think I will go with one of these plus a micro SD card breakout board to get started.
I can add wireless after later.
I hope there is another discount from "Ask An Engeneer" next Saturday

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”