Re: MicroSD card breakout board (PID: 254)

by johnbarr on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:01 pm

Rick: CD works as you describe - WHEN IT WORKS.
There is always continuity between the metal case and GND whether or not it works.
Inserted and removed card multiple times:

With a card inserted, CD is always disconnected from ground
With the card removed and no connection showing (reader failure), pressing down on one of the fingers DOES connect it.

The first few times I removed the card, CD worked (was grounded).
On subsequent tries, CD worked ONLY SOME OF THE TIME.

(This is, of course, consistent with what we see in our software.)

I find it very interesting that it should fail in spite of the two-finger redundancy!

WHAT IS THE NEXT STEP? Replacing the cards? Voiding the warranty by bending the fingers? (This might be the thing to do to the card reader that is soldered in place.)
johnbarr

by johnbarr on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:30 pm

There is no point in checking the jumpers (actually short wires 1.25" long) because when it fails, it is the card reader, connected or disconnected, that fails. It is the contacts on the card not contacting the case when the card is removed.

PREVIOUS POST (LOST?) REPEATED:
Rick: CD works as you describe - WHEN IT WORKS.
There is always continuity between the metal case and GND whether or not it works.
Inserted and removed card multiple times:

With a card inserted, CD is always disconnected from ground
With the card removed and no connection showing (reader failure), pressing down on one of the fingers DOES connect it.

The first few times I removed the card, CD worked (was grounded).
On subsequent tries, CD worked ONLY SOME OF THE TIME.

(This is, of course, consistent with what we see in our software.)

I find it very interesting that it should fail in spite of the two-finger redundancy!

WHAT IS THE NEXT STEP? Replacing the cards? Voiding the warranty by bending the fingers? (This might be the thing to do to the card reader that is soldered in place.)
johnbarr

by adafruit_support_rick on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:50 pm

We will replace the ones with the bad card detect fingers. Please email support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread to arrange a replacement.

johnbarr wrote:I find it very interesting that it should fail in spite of the two-finger redundancy!

Me, too. That is very strange. Must be from a funky batch. Maybe some crud got on the contacts?
adafruit_support_rick

by adafruit on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:54 am

We do test for CD in production and I tested a sampling of them by hand just now. All worked correctly, CD is shorted to ground when a card is not inserted and is 'floating' when a card is in place. A light pullup resistor is required.
adafruit