The new Raspberry Pi B Model B+ is here - Pick one up in the store and check our detailed guide!

wiring two spi components: cc3000 and nRF24L01

by sketchy on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:18 pm

I am building a home network that sends data to the Internet (well eventually it will :-) ).

I am thinking perhaps others are doing similar thus wish to share what I am doing. I am using Adafruit's cc3000 breakout board - which is terrific!

Please let me know if there are inaccuracies or areas where I can improve (because there definitely are!) My selfish desire is to learn from you.

I just finished a post on connecting two SPI RF components - one being the cc3000. I didn't know how easy/hard this would be because every SPI component I have run into assumes pin 10 as the SS (I think of this as the SPI's component identification pin)....

Here is a link to the post:

Wiring the cc3000 together with an nRF24L01 (two SPI components)

thank you and kind regards!
sketchy

Re: wiring two spi components: cc3000 and nRF24L01

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:57 am

Using pin 10 as the Chip/Slave Select line is a tradition, but there are no hardware requirements that demand it. All you need is a digital signal you can send LOW so the device in question knows it's supposed to listen to the data on the MOSI line. We've run into the same frustration you mentioned in your writeup enough that we try to build SS flexibility into our designs.

Your writeup looks good. I'll pass it along to the folks who manage the blog and see if they want to include it in our "cool things people are doing" feed.

The one piece of feedback I have for you is this: if it ain't ugly, it ain't a prototype. ;-)

Ugliness is a defining feature of anything new. When you make something new, you don't know exactly what you're building until it's done. The end result will be full of false starts, things you abandoned along the way, and things jammed in as you discovered the need for them. 'Pretty' only happens you know what the end result will be before you start.
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.
adafruit_support_mike

Re: wiring two spi components: cc3000 and nRF24L01

by sketchy on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks for your feedback Mike.

The "care and feeding" Adafruit gives to "doing it right" - as in this case - the flexibility in setting the SS line by changing a #define - is a HUGE competitive advantage for Adafruit. We could by a cc3000 anywhere. Why Adafruit? Because the accompanying support - on the forums, through tutorials, and DEFINATELY through libraries - whether that be in support of a breakout board or Fritzing is extremely important.

A similar example is the Arduino IDE. What differentiates "this circle" of makers from the previous circle I experienced in PC software making circa 80's is the INCREDIBLE development environment/tools available to the incredibly curious. I can't even imagine what another 30 years will bring (although I hope I'm alive to see it :-) ).

Kind regards - and again Thank you for taking the time to read the post and provide feedback.
sketchy