Gemma Bootloading Problems

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
davethewalker

Re: Gemma Bootloading Problems

Post by davethewalker »

Hi all,

I've been having untold trouble with both Gemma and Trinket, with intermittent operation and downright refusal to connect properly.

In the end, I ran the latest libUSB .inf creator and discovered that the boards weren't enumerating properly with the USB, but that I had quite a lot of USB peripherals connected (mouse (appearing several times in the USB list), keyboard, etc..) as I run my laptop in a docking station. When I unplugged these USB devices, LO AND BEHOLD, the boards appeared and the drivers installed properly!

It's now repeatable. If my mouse & keyboard is plugged in, it won't work. If I unplug them, it's fine.

I strongly recommend anyone having difficulties tries this out! It could have saved me a few hours of faultfinding if I'd known in advance...

Hope that helps,
Dave

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

What OS are you using?

davethewalker

Post by davethewalker »

Sorry, should have said.

Windows 7

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You might try connecting the Trinket/Gemma through a USB hub. Some people who've had trouble making a direct connection work can get good transfers every time with a hub acting as the intermediary.

Our theory is that USB hubs have a chip that reads and transfers the signals. The chips are made to be compatible with the USB stacks from most/all major OSes, but seem to be a bit more tolerant when communicating with client devices.

EvelinRim

Post by EvelinRim »

Hi Guys.

I am going crazy here, just can't make this Gemma to work! I've read all this thread, tried everything that was written here, spent all day and it still doesnt work. I have Windows 7 and I keep getting this message ''avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)''. I am newbie at Arduino, and now regretting that I did not purchase flora instead.

When I plug it in to new usb port, I get this, is this what's causing the problem?

I tried installing the drivers from here: https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... bootloader but the install just does not work, black screen opens similar to SMD and disappears after few seconds, and no further actions. Please help =/

Eve

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

What happened when you manually installed the USBtinyISP device driver? Did you get an error?

What do you see in Device Manger? Where does the Trinket/Gemma show up?

EvelinRim

Post by EvelinRim »

Ah, such a silly mistake, I figured it out, once I went to the device manager =D
I dont get that message anymore, and it seems all fine now, BUT is there any place where I can find other sketches for gemma? Or do I have to learn and write it myself?

adafruit_support_rick

We have lots of projects on the learning system:
https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=gemma

DuncanW

Post by DuncanW »

I got the Gemma a couple of days ago, i downloaded the fast installation and i got the program up and running just fine. When i pasted the "blink" program into Arduino 1.5 and pressed the verify button it said it was working just fine. But when i plug in the Gemma, hit the button on it and then press the upload button all i get is
Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)
and i cant figure out why im getting this

adafruit_support_rick

Are you running Windows? Did you install the USBtinyISP driver?

DuncanW

Post by DuncanW »

Yes i am running windows 7, and how would i know for sure if i installed the USBtinyISP

adafruit_support_rick

Look in Device Manager. If you've installed the driver correctly, the Gemma will appear as "USBtinyISP Avr Programmer" under "LibUSB-Win32 Devices".

DuncanW

Post by DuncanW »

so i tried to install it but when i tried to nothing is happening like in the tutorial. it says that the wizard window is supposed to pop up but all i get is the black command box showing up on the screen and disappearing instantly and nothing else happens.

adafruit_support_rick

Does the Gemma show up anywhere in Device Manager? Under "Unknown Devices", perhaps?

DuncanW

Post by DuncanW »

When i plug the Gemma in and open device manager it appears under "other devices" and its called "trinket" and has the yellow "!" triangle

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”