TTL Serial JPEG Camera with NTSC Video

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sohelmalek12

TTL Serial JPEG Camera with NTSC Video

Post by sohelmalek12 »

Hello everyone...
I m making project of "wireless surveillance system using zigbee technology".
So in this project i m going to interface Camera to Microcontroller and microcontroller to Zigbee Transmitter.
I m using Arduino UNO compatible with ATmega328p.
I want live video (not just images but video) at receiver side..

So i have read Adafruits article of TTL Serial JPEG Camera with NTSC Video.
http://learn.adafruit.com/ttl-serial-camera/overview
So do you think that it will be helpful for my project.?
In the article they have only shows how to take snaps from camera, they haven't connected CVBS pin to arduino that is used for video.
I want to take video at receiver side.
So kindly help me for my project so i can move further on other parts of my project.
Thank You.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: TTL Serial JPEG Camera with NTSC Video

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It is not possible to send live video using an UNO and Xbee radios. It might be possible to transmit highly compressed video within the 250kbps bandwidth limit, but you would need much more processing power at each end to do the encoding and decoding.

sohelmalek12

Post by sohelmalek12 »

I wii use low resolution camera who has having 20 to 25KB size of frames and about 10 fps.
So it will meet to zigbee requirements, The problem is that if i will use TTL Serial Camera as shown in your adafruit site, Is that camera capable of taking live video. In tutorial "adafruit" have interfaced with arduino for taking images, CVBS is not connected to arduino, Then how can i connect camera to arduino so that it gives me live vido?
Please suggest me sir...

adafruit_support_bill

The Arduino cannot perform the signal compression needed to transmit live video over XBee. you would need much more processing power at each end to do the encoding and decoding.

sohelmalek12

Post by sohelmalek12 »

ohh....
So which controller i should have to use?
Or any other idea...

adafruit_support_bill

It might be possible with a Raspberry Pi or a Beagle Bone Black. But I do not know of any example projects or code.

Skwerl

Post by Skwerl »

I have a question very much along these lines, I hope it's not hijacking the thread.

I've built a robot, an R2-D2, that's controlled by some custom controller/receiver shields on Arduino Megas. They're communicating via XBee Pro S2Bs.
The controller has this Adafruit TFT LCD: http://www.adafruit.com/products/335

I was wondering if I could put the TTL Serial JPEG Camera in R2's eye to send live video to the controller screen. Even if it's super low resolution, that would be really cool. If I had the camera plugged into a Mega, could the Megas do the processing required to send video via XBee? Or is the Mega not much better than the UNO?

Also wondering if the TFT screen could render the video. I fear it can't. In which case, is there a screen with a better GPU that I could swap in?

Alternatively, is there a way to have the camera transmit data to a server via WiFi?

adafruit_support_bill

Alternatively, is there a way to have the camera transmit data to a server via WiFi?
The Arduino does not have the horsepower to do streaming video from and NTSC signal. (The Mega is no faster than the Uno - it just has more memory and pins).
The simplest solution would be to get a WiFi enabled surveillance camera. These are widely available and probably a lot cheaper than developing your own.

sohelmalek12

Post by sohelmalek12 »

Thanks for you support :)
I have changed my project...n now i will not go for live streaming through camera... I will attach the PIR sensor and TTL serial JPEG camera with Arduino UNO ( atmega328p microcontroller)...n i will just transmit images taken by the camera when motion is detected by PIR sensor...
Now my doubt is I want to transmit images through Zigbee module, and this module is connected with microcontroller through TX, Rx pins of Arduino. So is there any other option to connect camera with microcontroller. Pls suggest me if any.

adafruit_support_bill

You can use Software Serial to create a serial port in software: http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial

Or you can use a Mega which has 4 hardware serial ports. http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardMega

sohelmalek12

Post by sohelmalek12 »

Thank u so much...
My Zigbee is already connected with 0 and 1 pin of arduino. So i cant connect my UARt camera. So which option will be better? Either i should go with softserial or arduino mega?

adafruit_support_bill

Software serial has more overhead, and some restrictions. For example, you can only receive from one device at a time. You have to use the listen() function to switch between devices. If the cost of a Mega is not an issue, that would be the best way to go.

sohelmalek12

Post by sohelmalek12 »

hello everyone...
I have purchased Miniature TTL serial camera from adafruit (From: Proto Central-BANNED distributor).
but my problem is that it works on onliy 38400 Baudrate, and my zigbee Telegesis ETRX357 device works on 19200 baudrate.

So i m not getting success of comunicating camera with zigbee.
Please give me some suggestions if any. Thank You.

adafruit_support_bill

IT is possible to change the baud rate of the camera but we do not recommend it (see the tutorial for details) http://learn.adafruit.com/ttl-serial-ca ... -comm-tool

The XBee modules we sell will work at 88.4K baud. http://www.adafruit.com/category/29

sohelmalek12

Post by sohelmalek12 »

Hello,
I have succeded to get JPEG images to PC through Arduino. (As given in tutorial http://learn.adafruit.com/ttl-serial-camera/overview)
Now I m gonna transmit camera (JPEG TTL SERIAL CAMERA BY ADAFRUIT ) images to PC through zigbee (Telegesis ETRX357).
I have skipped microcontroller part right now. just wanna check whether the camera can transmit images through zigbee or not,,or whether zigbee module is capable of sending the images??
I have seen one video on youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x4JLasMvio
so i have connected Tx of Zigbee to Rx of camera. (Zigbee works on 3.3 V and my miniature JPEG camera is also working on 3.3V)
and Rx of zigbee to Tx of camera. Given 3.3 V to zigbee and camera and common grounded.
I have done same procedure for taking images, Opened VC0706CommTool software, Selected the com port from which Zigbee reciever is connected. And clicked on "Get Version" and got response "Version : VC0703 1.00" but when i have clicked on "Stop CBUF" and clicked on "Sel File". It shows explorer..i have given name to image with jpg extension. and when I have clicked on "READ" it shows error "Get FBUF data read failed" something like that...
Then i have checked my camera to NTSC TV through RCA pin, It doesn't shows video.
What may be the problem for this stuff? I can't understand. please give me suggestions.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”