Uno R3 images.cpp and .hex files for use with the Standalone

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
8bitmicro

Uno R3 images.cpp and .hex files for use with the Standalone

Post by 8bitmicro »

Hi

After trying differing versions of the Arduino IDE on different OSes, I've finally got the AVR ISP board working and programming boot-loaders in standalone mode. (Updating to the latest Arduino release in Elementary OS was required in my case but I guess the same would work in Ubuntu).

The file images.cpp (https://github.com/adafruit/Standalone- ... images.cpp) included with the sketch (apparently?) contains code from a Duemilanove boot-loader.

As I have an Uno R3, is it possible to create or obtain a file containing the boot-loader from an Uno R3?

If I replace the Atmega in my Uno with one I've flashed using the included images.cpp file, my Uno stops being recognised by the Arduino IDE unless I choose a Duemilanove board from the IDE.

I'm not sure if there's any negative impact to having a Duemilanove boot-loader in an Uno but I'd prefer a method of flashing the Arduino Uno R3 boot-loader instead, if this is possible.

I'm assuming it's as simple as replacing/modifying the images.cpp file and adding a new .hex file but don't know where to begin.

Are files for the Uno R3 available for download anywhere or failing this, instructions on how to create them?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Uno R3 images.cpp and .hex files for use with the Standa

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

To clarify, are you talking about the bootloader used in the standalone programmer, or the bootloader it writes to the chip being programmed?

8bitmicro

Post by 8bitmicro »

Hi

The boot-loader written to the ATmega.

As I mentioned above, replacing the Uno's ATmega with one programmed by the AVR ISP shield results in the same Uno board being recognised as a Duemilanove by the IDE and not as an Uno.

I'd like the programmed chip to be used and recognised as an Uno rather than a Duemilanove.

An alternative question might've been:
Using the AVR ISP shield, can I write Uno R3 boot-loaders to ATmega ICs instead of the (default?) Duemilanove one?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The Arduino IDE has copies of all the bootloaders it can write to a chip in the folder 'hardware/Arduino/bootloaders'. You can copy the one you want into the file 'images.cpp' as shown in the tutorial: http://learn.adafruit.com/standalone-av ... g-the-code

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”