Arduino Micro Power Problem

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
HammerArt

Arduino Micro Power Problem

Post by HammerArt »

I have successfully programmed my Arduino Micro board and the board works great when connected to the computer via usb cable. However when plugged into the wall using the 9 VDC 1000mA regulated switching power adapter via the usb port the board pins do not function properly and the status lights are very dim. I then tried powering the board via usb port with the 8 x AA battery holder with 5.5mm/2.1mm Plug and On/Off Switch and the board will no longer program or even function properly. I'm guessing I fried it with the 12v. My project is very simple. I'm using the 7 PWM pins with 2 SMT Cool White 5050 LED - 10 pack - 6500-7000K connected to each pin. I would like the option to power the board with a battery pack or wall plugin. Not sure if I should use the usb port to power the board after programming or solder wires to the battery pins?

If someone could please point me in the right direction on how to power this board I would much appreciate it!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Arduino Micro Power Problem

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

9 VDC 1000mA regulated switching power adapter via the usb port
I then tried powering the board via usb port with the 8 x AA battery holder
The USB port can only take 5v - MAX! If you are powering with higher voltages, you have to power via the GND and VIN pins.

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardM ... x3d9fldV8E
External (non-USB) power can come either from a DC power supply or battery. Leads from a battery or DC power supply can be connected to the Gnd and Vin pins.
My project is very simple. I'm using the 7 PWM pins with 2 SMT Cool White 5050 LED - 10 pack - 6500-7000K connected to each pin.
If you are powering that many leds directly from the Micro pins, I would recommend using the lowest supply voltage possible. Either 5v (regulated) via the USB port or 7v-9v via GND and VIN. Powering with 12v will make the regulator work extra hard to burn off the excess.

HammerArt

Re: Arduino Micro Power Problem

Post by HammerArt »

Thanks, your reply was very helpful

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”