GPS accuracy

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
templeclause

GPS accuracy

Post by templeclause »

I need some help with the ultimate gps device.
I built a reverse geocache similar to this one :
http://learn.adafruit.com/reverse-geoca ... x?view=all

It works fine but I have some accuracy issues. I used it yesterday and programmed it so I had to be in a 10 meter radius of the target. When standing directly on the target the distance varied from 5-35meters. (The target was in the woods so this might have affected it).

My question is, will the accuracy improve the longer the GPS is running? Because right now as soon as I have a GPS fix it will calculate the distance. What I am thinking about is when the distance to target is less than 100 meters, I could wait a bit longer for the GPS device to find a more accurate position. Would this work?

Thanks in advance

Franklin97355

Re: GPS accuracy

Post by Franklin97355 »

The specs say 1.8m position accuracy but that depends on conditions. I would take multiple readings and average them to get a better fix. Some commercial GPS units designed for Geocaching have a waypoint averaging function. As you surmised, trees, buildings and other obstructions can affect the readings.

wethaguy

Post by wethaguy »

This post might help you. Searching the forums will also provide many other posts related to the GPS that you may find helpful

templeclause

Post by templeclause »

Thanks for the replies!

Sorry for not searching on my own, I tend to forget ...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”