tmp006 vs Melexis - MLX90614 3V -

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mjpcarbon

tmp006 vs Melexis - MLX90614 3V -

Post by mjpcarbon »

Adafruit advice needed, for my next project I wish to sense temperature via infrared and would like some input if possible.
I already have several tmp006 breakouts, but in this particular situation there will be hot ambient air near the object I wish to monitor.
So with that said is there a better sensor for this build(MLX...) over the tmp006 ?
Distance to object will be a few CM, material being monitored(car tire) ambient and exhaust heat will be present.
As always thank you

adafruit_support_mike

Re: tmp006 vs Melexis - MLX90614 3V -

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Based on a quick read through the datasheets (linked from both product pages), it sounds like the MLX90614 is more sensitive to ambient temperatures than the TMP006.

IR temperature sensors work more like cameras than thermometers, so there's more concern for the presence of other IR emitters in the field of view than surrounding temperatures. The first step with any sensor in any operating condition is to test it though.. the best engineering solution to any problem is the one you don't have to build because experimental data shows it isn't necessary.

Do some tests with the TMP006 in its expected working conditions, and compare the readings to some other temperature measurement that you consider reliable. Run the tire for a certain amount of time taking readings from the TMP006, then stop and take a physical temperature measurement from the surface of the tire with a regular thermometer. See what sources of error and offset exist. Once you know those, you'll have a better idea of how to compensate for them.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”