Control HW components connected to the Arduino

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
marcelo barbosa

Control HW components connected to the Arduino

Post by marcelo barbosa »

Hi,

I am a beginner in Arduino.
I have already posted some questions at link "forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51135".
I have bought a Fingerprint sensor and an Arduino UNO (my post account is linked to my purchase account).

While I wait for the HW to arrive I have borrowed an Arduino UNO from my school lab and I am playing with it.

One thing that I will have to do in my project is to control the fingerprint sensor from a PC application. During the enroll phase I need that my PC application determine the ID to be assigned to the fingerprint being registered in the sensor as well as, during the matching/recognition phase I need my PC application to retrieve from the sensor the ID of the matched fingerprint.

In order to control the fingerprint from my PC application, I understand that I will have to use the Arduino main serial communication to send the commands to a Sketch loaded in the Arduino which is able to understand the command and control the fingerprint. Could you please cofirm if this is correct? Can I have a Sketch in the Arduino to which I send commands via Arduino main serial?

Is there already a lib I can load in the arduino, which implements the serial communication and which I can use in the Sketch which will communicate with the PC application and control the HW components connected to the Arduino?
Is there already a lib I can use at PC side and which implements the serial communication to the Arduino main serial? If yes, could you please provide me details about this lib? In which programming language is this lib available?

Thanks,

Franklin97355

Re: Control HW components connected to the Arduino

Post by Franklin97355 »

Is there already a lib I can load in the arduino, which implements the serial communication and which I can use in the Sketch which will communicate with the PC application and control the HW components connected to the Arduino?
Is there already a lib I can use at PC side and which implements the serial communication to the Arduino main serial? If yes, could you please provide me details about this lib? In which programming language is this lib available?
The serial functions are already in the IDE and you access them using Serial.read and Serial.print. The info is here http://arduino.cc/en/reference/serial#.UyuqBPk7uG4
As to the pc side any language that can read serial from a com port or usb will work. BASIC, vb, vc, c#, python all can do this, just pick the one you are most comfortable using.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Control HW components connected to the Arduino

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

To add to Franklin's advice. "Processing" is popular for PC-side applications that communicate with the Arduino. It shares the same language and IDE as the Arduino, so it is easy to switch between the two. http://www.processing.org/

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”