LiPo batteries, boosters, chargers, etc

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
NewJohn

LiPo batteries, boosters, chargers, etc

Post by NewJohn »

I have just purchased the following from Adafruit: PowerBoost 500, Lithium Ion Battery Pack - 3.7V 6600mAh, and the USB / DC / Solar Lithium Ion/Polymer charger. My intention is to power my Arduino project through the onboard USB port with the 6600 mAh 3.7/4.2 lion battery, boosted to 5.2 volts with the PowerBoost 500. (FYI project remains “always on”, 99.9% of time it draws <100 mAh, .1% <400 mAh) To recharge the battery I will use the USB/DC/Solar lion/poly charger. Initially, charging will be via a wall wart producing 5 volts @ 1000mAh. Eventually I will add a solar panel but have to figure out where the panel location will be.

Due to the location of the project and appearance needs, the project’s innards (Arduino, peripherals, power and charging circuits) will be assembled together behind a screen and future accessibility will involve getting on a ladder and taking things apart. I don’t want to have to do this very often, so charging access will be via a USB mini B socket or DC power jack mounted on the exterior of the screen with leads back to the lion/poly charger.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Are there any obvious errors in my plan that I am overlooking?
2. I am assuming that the output from the lion/poly charger (load), is the input for the PowerBoost 500 (JST socket) and the output from the PowerBoost (USB port) is the input to the Arduino USB.
3. I am assuming from the documentation that I can leave everything connected and the project can be drawing power from the battery simultaneously while being charged, or when the wall wart/ other DC/Solar is not connected, the project will draw from the battery.
4. I have read your recommendation against connecting two 6600 lion batteries in parallel to give a greater recharge interval, however, if I choose to do this, can they be recharged simultaneously by the lion/poly charger?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: LiPo batteries, boosters, chargers, etc

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Your assumptions are correct and I see no obvious problems with your proposed configuration.

We do not recommend charging or discharging cells wired in parallel.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”