Monochrome 0.96" 128x64 OLED display with Diecimila

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
someniceflowers

Monochrome 0.96" 128x64 OLED display with Diecimila

Post by someniceflowers »

I have a hunch this is just a result of me using an ancient arduino, but I figured I ask before just buying a new one. I'm running the example code for the monochrome oled display, from the tutorial, titled ssd1306_128x64_spi.ino. I commented out some of the functions such as testdrawline(), and the round-rectangle and triangle functions so that it would fit. However, when I start the sketch on my arduino, my display looks like the attached picture. It's clearly trying to display the splash screen, but it just blinks that garbled mess over and over. Is this just a result of my old arduino not handling the code properly, or is it something else?

Also: I have a 16-bit color oled display that ran its test code (modified to fit my limited memory space) just fine, so it's a bit mystifying why it can't do the monochrome version.
Attachments
20140605_172459.jpg
20140605_172459.jpg (748.59 KiB) Viewed 171 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Monochrome 0.96" 128x64 OLED display with Diecimila

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Those displays need 1024 bytes of SRAM for the display buffer which is 100% of what is in the Diecimila. The system also needs SRAM for program stack & heap, so that is running over your display buffer and showing up as junk on the screen.

You can upgrade your Atmega168 processor to an Atmega328: https://www.adafruit.com/products/123
This is the same chip used in the newer Arduino Duemilanove and UNO boards and has twice as much SRAM. Since the pre-programmed bootloader is Duemilanove compatible, it will effectively turn your Diecimila into a Duemilanove.

someniceflowers

Re: Monochrome 0.96" 128x64 OLED display with Diecimila

Post by someniceflowers »

Perfect! Thanks for the prompt reply, I'll give that a shot.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”