Two stepper motors!

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
aneekh

Two stepper motors!

Post by aneekh »

Hi! I'm working on a project that needs two different stepper motors to work off the same shield (Adafruit Motor Shield v2).

The first stepper is the Adafruit Nema 17, 12v 350ma motor. The second stepper is a Nema 23, 3v 2A per phase motor.

The Adafruit "All About Stepper Motors" FAQ mentions:
Will this power supply work with my motor?
First make sure it does not exceed the voltage rating for the motor or the controller.* You can usually run a motor at a lower voltage, although you will get less torque.

Next, check the current rating. Most stepping modes energize two phases at a time, so the current rating should be at least twice the current per phase for your motor.

* This applies to constant voltage drivers. For chopper drive controllers, check the instructions for your controller.
My question: is it possible to run both these motors off my motor shield? What power supply would I need?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Two stepper motors!

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

No. There is one power supply connection on the shield, so all motors on the same shield will get the same voltage. Also, the current rating for the V2 motor shield is 1.2A. It cannot drive a 2A/phase motor. The 3v/2A motor would be best controlled by a constant-current chopper drive such as the Synthetos G-Shield. https://www.adafruit.com/product/1750

aneekh

Re: Two stepper motors!

Post by aneekh »

Thank you for the prompt reply, much appreciated!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”