Not sure where to start

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
NstyDevil

Not sure where to start

Post by NstyDevil »

I have Electronics background, and some basic programming skills, but I'm currently working on a project where I am not sure where to start with the wearable product line. It definitely looks exactly like what will fit the bill, but not sure about which products (and how many) I'm looking at.

I have a friend who is looking to have a suit made up (already got a dressmaker/seamstress to create this) but he would like to have about 40 vibrating mini motors placed in key areas throughout the suit, as well as lights throughout the suit. Either LED's or EL wire.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Andy

Franklin97355

Re: Not sure where to start

Post by Franklin97355 »

neo pixels will work for the lights and will make the design easier to install. The Flora is a good start but I need to know more about the motors and how they will be used.

NstyDevil

Post by NstyDevil »

Hard to describe how they will be used, but I sourced the motors from this site directly. https://www.adafruit.com/products/1201

The guy wants a vibrating light up suit... with extra "vibrators" on each fingertip.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

with extra "vibrators" on each fingertip.
How are you planning to do that, just curious? Also do the motors need to be controlled individually or all together?

NstyDevil

Post by NstyDevil »

Have them in the tip of a glove finger as the pads of the finger. With wires coming out of the glove.

they would be controlled all together. But I'd like to have the other ones pulse in time with the LED's. Perhaps to the sound of the music?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you want to pulse them all together or in groups, you could do each group with a MOSFET driven by a digital pin.
These are way overkill: https://www.adafruit.com/product/355 But can be driven directly with no additional components. One of these could drive several dozen vibrator motors without breaking a sweat.

NstyDevil

Post by NstyDevil »

The Mosfet will be a good idea. I will have to test that.

But what controller should i use? the Gemma or Trinket? I can probably put the LED's and some of the motors on a single Gemma, but I'm not sure.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Either Gemma or Trinket will work. Gemma and the 3.3v version of the Trinket are essentially the same processor in a different form. Both can run well directly from 3.7v LiPo packs.

NstyDevil

Post by NstyDevil »

Excellent news!!! I have found a source locally for the Trinket, so I will be using that, but the company doesn't have everything, so I will be ordering a bunch of things directly from you guys. I will keep you apprised of how the project is going.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”