WiFi/BlueTooth and DataLogging

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lexical43

WiFi/BlueTooth and DataLogging

Post by lexical43 »

Before I get too far into a new project, I wanted to ask if what I am proposing is possible with the hardware I am looking at.

My plan is to use the Arduino Micro to record accelerometer data, log that data to a micro SD break-out board and stream to a computer via wifi or bluetooth, using breakouts, so I can see the data graphed in real time via MatLab or equivalent. I also want to be able to send an alert to a smart phone via a BTLE connection.

If there was a way to connect to my MacBook Air via BTLE and read the serial data I could forgo the wifi component.

Are there any challenges or issues I am likely to run into with the above setup? I understand the WiFi break-out can have an issue releasing one of the SPI pins. Any other issues like that which may cause issues? Any thoughts on the most efficient solution or setup?

Using the data logging shield isn't an option due to it's physical size. The entire project must be as compact as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help and insight.

Gabriel.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: WiFi/BlueTooth and DataLogging

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I don't see any problems with that arrangement.

Something to try is to mock-up a sketch with all the libraries included and instantiated to see if you're going to have any flash or SRAM issues. Pretty much all you need is a basic setup function that initializes everything. Also include the freeRam function from our Memories tutorial and print out what it returns.
https://learn.adafruit.com/memories-of- ... ree-memory

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”